The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   My new pintaloosa help me!!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/my-new-pintaloosa-help-me-34812/)

sweetypiebstr 08-26-2009 10:36 PM

My new pintaloosa help me!!!

hi my name is elizabeth and i have recently aquierd a pintaloosa named arabella the people we baught her from told us that she had been broken. we got her home and went to ride her after about a week of her getting used to us and our herd. as soon as i put my wait in the saddle she started rearing once i emergency dismounted she herself fell backwards ontop of the saddle we have tried alot of things to try and break her. my father is helping me but i have no clue what to try now. she has gone from rearing to bucking we have started trying ground work but she seems to spook realy easily. i need help any sugestions would help me greatly!!!!:?

Fire Eyes 08-26-2009 10:57 PM

Did you try her before you bought her? Have you seen someone ride her?

Try and contact the old owners?

sweetypiebstr 08-26-2009 11:04 PM

yes i have we have rde her a few times but she just gets so spooked so quickly then we have to start right from the start she just doesnt seem to stick with her

Fire Eyes 08-26-2009 11:10 PM

How old is she? You might need to get her a trainer.

sweetypiebstr 08-27-2009 12:27 PM

she is a five year old mare

Spastic_Dove 08-27-2009 12:45 PM

How experienced are you with horses? How long have you had her?

sweetypiebstr 08-27-2009 01:08 PM

i myself am not that expierienced but my father has been around horses his whole life and hes helping me

Spastic_Dove 08-27-2009 01:22 PM

In that case, I would have your dad be doing most of the work right now with you helping. Get a solid base on the ground so she learns to trust and isn't worrying about the monster that is going to jump out of the hedges and eat her.
Once she is solid on the ground, start her in a round pen under saddle. Let her feel the saddle without a rider and make sense of it all. Once she is solid here, your dad can begin to ride her and let her figure that out.
From what you said, it sounds like an inexperienced horse that doesn't know what's going on. If somethings not sticking with her, don't move onto the next phase. Some horses you learn faster than other but it sounds like this girl may need a bit more time before you move ahead.

sweetypiebstr 08-27-2009 01:28 PM

he has been doing most of the work with her we have gotten her to the point were she can have someone on the saddle. we have been doing round pen work and ground work

Spastic_Dove 08-27-2009 01:31 PM

Well okay then. Just stay within her comfort zone until she isn't spooky and uncomfortable. She sounds like she's just kind of having sensory overload about the whole thing.
If she is bucking/rearing, she is not ready for the next step.
I'm a little confused though. She is fine with someone in the saddle or she rears/flips with someone in the saddle?