The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   What's the best joint supplement? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/whats-best-joint-supplement-34814/)

riccil0ve 08-27-2009 12:19 AM

What's the best joint supplement?

I'm currently using this for my 17 y/o Paint mare. I have no problems with it, but I want to know if there's anything better. =]

http://img.smartpak.com/product/Join...o_Hoofcoat.jpg

~*~anebel~*~ 08-27-2009 03:46 PM

Most oral joint supplements actually have no independent clinical research behind them and some don't even have the same concentrations of supplements that they claim to. Basically when feeding this stuff you might as well be feeding your horse table salt. Corta-FLX and Corta-RX actually have some studies done with them and they showed that the results from these products are there, but they are not huge. In general, with all of these products any results you are going to see are going to be the result of a placebo in you and possibly minor improvements in the horse. Every product is going to work differently with every horse, so what may seem to work for your horse might do nothing for another.
The best and most highly recommended course of treatment (and even prevention) for arthritis or other joint diseases is IV injections of Legend which can be combined with IM Adequan. In very progressed cases of arthritis, daily NSAIDs can also be recommended.
Good luck!

Pinto Pony 08-27-2009 04:35 PM

I kinda agree with anabel there, but after a little research my mum and I found this product...
Calciplex Bone & Joint™ Plus from IAHP

Click the link to the data sheet to see the ingredients.

I did notice changes in my horse, the most noticeable was the clicking noise in his hip disappeared and he sometimes did this weird stumbly thing with the back leg that clicked and that would stop too. If we ever stopped with the supplement, the click comes back and he gets that odd stumble every now and then. So maybe it is just a coincidence, but I think the supplement has something to do with it.

hotreddun 08-27-2009 05:31 PM

I have to agree with Anabel too. Most oral supplements are just not that effective. Don't hold me to these numbers but I remember reading somewhere that in oral supplements the medicine was 20% absorbed, in IM and IV it was 60% absorbed and in intrarticular (injected straight in the joint) it was around 80%. So if you do oral...find the highest dosages of medicines that you can afford. Personally I prefer the injections. I did use Recovery Eq and felt like it was a great all around supplement but it was pretty pricey.

eventerdrew 08-27-2009 05:42 PM

Corta-Flx is great. although some studies show oral supps don't work. I beg to differ :)

riccil0ve 08-27-2009 11:46 PM

Well that's good to know. I'm giving joint supplements as a preventative measure. At 17, my horse shows no signs of having arthritis or clicking or stiffness or any other problem with her joints. I just want to keep it that way. =]

Do you have any more information on the Legend injections, Anebel? Like how much it is, how often, etc? Is it something the vet has to do, or can you get it in a do-it-yourself shot?

And what about Next Level? My friend is using that. I never bothered to buy it because it costs just as much at the Combo stuff does but wouldn't last as long.

I know everyone said the oral stuff doesn't really work, but does it matter if it's liquid or pellets or whatever else it can come in?

~*~anebel~*~ 08-31-2009 02:01 PM

For the Legend injections, it is an IV injection (into the blood stream) so I would recommend getting a vet to do it. If you have a less expensive vet and get a hold of the generic version of Legend it is a lot cheaper. I get my horse injected with both Legend and Adequan once a month (as a preventative) and with an expensive vet and both drugs brand name is was over $200 each time. With a cheaper vet and getting them generically it is about $100.
If you are just doing the Legend (generic) and as a preventative you could get it done every 4-6 weeks and it would be fine. If you find your horse getting stiffer between injections then start shortening the period in between them. Any shorter than 3.5-4 weeks inbetween injections and you're wasting money.

And it doesn't matter how the glucosamine gets to the stomach - it's the fact that the molecules are generally too large to be absorbed through the digestive tract into the horse's system.

Good luck!

AlmagroN 08-31-2009 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~*~anebel~*~ (Post 392287)
For the Legend injections, it is an IV injection (into the blood stream) so I would recommend getting a vet to do it.

if you need a vet to give an IV shot... well... wow. everyone who owns a horse should know how. especially incase your horse colics and there is no vet around. these are things you just NEED to know how to do for that INCASE time thats critical.

anyway. i wouldnt bother with legend injections or adequan. as they are very expencive and really not worth it unless there is a real problem. those arent for "preventative" uses as much as they are "treatment". i would stick with the supplement you are using if you like it. i know not everyone agrees with oral supplements, but thats their opinion. i started my mare on pure MSM recently and shes gotten a lot better. to me, proof is in the pudding!