The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Natural Horsemanship (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/)
-   -   Pull Pull=over neck (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/pull-pull%3Dover-neck-34822/)

angelsgrace 08-27-2009 05:41 AM

Pull Pull=over neck

Hi guy I have this problem with my mare she is a sweet heart butr crazy, and I've only just started to ride her any how,
heres the problem I can only ride bare back cause i don't have a saddle but thats not the problem I'm an ok bbr I gallop jump and can do alot [not bragging] she a paint so not very bright.

And if she sees a spot of grass head down and pulls me off and i go down the neck [no wither to stop me FAT!] I know what your thinking classic beginner story well let me stop you she green broke and I train her almost the whole way but if you tappe her with your heels to get her head up she buck sail over head try and pull her head up with hands either she turns and pulls her head down or I pull my self down in my eforts to get her head up..........any way I do it sail over her HEAD it's SO darn frustrating if you get me.

I thought grass rein but you need a saddle for that or even hooking the reins on the horn of a saddle but I can't ride her with a saddle be cause she has a quater crack that is healing with a shoe on One time I even smacked her and I'm parrei help I'm stumped.

Issy

P.S shes tall so a way to fall lol

Whispering Silver 08-27-2009 07:23 AM

hi, sorry realy can offer no help, the only thing i know about is how to prevent it using a saddle.

plsease can you help me? how do i make a new post on here? can you send me a private message, with a link perhaps.

thanks, i know, im a 'newbie'
x

Gidji 08-27-2009 08:49 AM

First of all, I think its terribly unfair that you said she wasn't bright just because she's a paint. I ride Paints, and I find them to be the most understanding, wonderful breed I've ever rode.
You say you gallop and jump bareback? Thats good but seeing as your training her, I suggest you work on the basics with her.
Try working with her on the ground, lead her around food, but don't let her put her head down no matter what. Its important that she understand's you're the boss.
Also, I have another question for you.
How can you gallop bareback and jump if you can't stay on when she puts her head down?

Spirithorse 08-27-2009 05:40 PM

Paints are not stupid. No horse is stupid. They just outsmart people on a regular basis.

Here's a real simple way to fix this issue. If she puts her head down to graze allow it for close to 15 seconds, then, without pulling on her face, ask her to go off by squeezing NOT KICKING and if she doesn't respond tap her with a string/lead rope/etc. that you have with you on the butt, and you want her to trot. Next time she does it, allow it for a few seconds less....if she does it again, a few seconds less......get it? And you want her to trot when she goes off. Works every time.

1dog3cats17rodents 08-27-2009 05:52 PM

Squeeze, don't kick. If you pull yourself off, you are not holding on with your lef. Squeeze to hold your self on, then pull ONE rein. This will force her to turn her head and then you can squeeze her forward

Spastic_Dove 08-27-2009 06:20 PM

You've gotten some good advice. Sounds like you need to not be jumping or galloping and focusing on her training first. I don't understand why a quarter crack would have anything to do with a saddle though.

mom2pride 08-28-2009 01:59 AM

You've gotten some good tips... good luck with her!

angelsgrace 09-05-2009 07:40 PM

I did 3 months of groud work with everyday before I hoped on her at all, all of it was parreli, It was a joke about paints sorry to upset you shes not dumb just a ditz.

shes a darl though
i hold on with my legs but we live on hilly land and she always does it down hill so with gravity and her pulling me down I fall, I told you that can jump and gallop to give you an Idea about how far I'am with bare back.

I know paints are very smart It's just joke me and a lot of my friends share sorry.

I'll try your aproch spirt horse It's looks like one she would listen to.

And before I hop on her every time I do half an hour of ground work first.

I'll show you a pic of the land if I can find one no can't but i'll explain I've got a 3hundred meter track where I RIDE her because it's the safest place for her and on each side is a one meter slant likew this / and she is smart because she'll go down that real fast with her head down pulling.

Thanks Issy and cris

angelsgrace 09-12-2009 07:00 AM

Come on well I have got a saddle know so bye

Gidji 09-12-2009 07:44 AM

No offense, but I believe you should get some professional help with your horse or maybe you could take some riding lessons? I understand that sometimes riding down-hill is hard, but you shouldn't fall off just because her head goes down. Lean slightly back when going down-hill and move with her centre of balance. You also said she has no withers but you really shouldn't be relying on the withers to keep you onboard.
Gripping with your legs is a big no-no. If she is green-broke, she might take that as an aid to go faster, or you could just plain confuse her. Heels down, move with her, and heels down.
Since you're new to riding in a saddle, I think it would be best for you and your horsey to get lessons. I'm sure you're not a beginner, but even experienced riders get lessons. And who knows, your instructor might be able to help you with some of your (you+horse) problems.
But I do think you should really work on ground-work with her.