The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Tacky-Tack Saddle Pads (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/tacky-tack-saddle-pads-34841/)

RoCru 08-27-2009 12:03 PM

Tacky-Tack Saddle Pads

1 Attachment(s)
We decided to invest in a different saddle pad. The one that came with my saddle was too big for Sundance and the saddle slipped off to the side when I'd try to mount. My husband found these pads at our local tack sales. I've had many people tell me that these are the only pads they will use, and that they prevent slipping. This is the one we bought, but in hunter green...

iridehorses 08-27-2009 03:21 PM

It is relatively uncommon for a saddle pad to be too large and cause slipping. More common is the fact that the saddle is an improper fit for your horse. That isn't to say that there isn't a problem with your tack but I would love to see the pad and the saddle on your horse.

Concerning the pad you asked about, personally, I would not use any pad that has a rubber or rubber like material against my horse. I don't like the way it builds up heat and I've see the rubbing and hair loss that it has caused on some horses.

ridesapaintedpony 08-27-2009 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iridehorses (Post 389226)
Concerning the pad you asked about, personally, I would not use any pad that has a rubber or rubber like material against my horse. I don't like the way it builds up heat and I've see the rubbing and hair loss that it has caused on some horses.

I've heard this a lot about neoprene or rubber backed pads. As someone said to me, "would you want to wear rubber when you got warm?"

I would look for a felt backed pad or maybe fleece.

JustDressageIt 08-27-2009 07:14 PM

I've heard mixed reviews on them.
Some horses hate the feeling of the "tacky" side on their back, and will actually protest.
Others have no problems at all.

This is the review I was looking for:

Likes: This pad had a lot of stick to it, Red seemed to be ok with it, and my heavy roping saddle seemed to fit better. He seemed to enjoy the high whither front and extra pad on the side. I like the control contact feel you get from what ever it is made out of. It seem to make Red more comfortable on the ride 4 times out.

Dislikes: Remember the word (tacky), At a roping one night me an old Red who knows me as I know him ran our first cow of the night. I noticed a little speed hump in his rump during the leaving of the shoot gate in our first run, and made a comment to those around me about how Red had a little more step tonight and hoping he was not reverting to his younger day`s of kicking up his heel`s. Well my second run came about and all was normal in the control room as from my view, as I threw my head rope and drawed up my slack all was fine. until I dalled off and went left when to amazement Red went air born and started bucking with a 800 lb steer in tow and my healer making a strong attempt to heal. After my third time around the arena,(steer still in tow) glancing over left shoulder to my astonishment I noticed we have been bucking for 23.598 secounds (NEW AREANA RECORD) for which I didnt want to win thank you, Along with my healer (Garry)who got tired of chasing and I think he started in in with the crowed shouting (ride him),For which I didn`t want to ride him (I wanted off EASY). After all this and the hoopla of the 23.598 second ride I started checking to see what cause the problem, Remember the word TACKY!!!!(SON this pad is TACKY!!) Old RED`s back looked like a beaver jumped on his back and Nawwed his hair with his teeth and was using hair to build a dam, I Pulled out a hand full hair and lower main from the bottom of the pad. My suggestion is a WARNING LABLE (when pulling steers expect strong traction and possible hair loss, Side affects to include bucking snorting farting and sometimes the feeling the ground is closing in on you fast)

Reinsman Tacky Too Pad Western Saddle Fittings/Pads Reviews @ Horse Tack Review

dee 08-27-2009 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustDressageIt (Post 389420)
Remember the word TACKY!!!!(SON this pad is TACKY!!) Old RED`s back looked like a beaver jumped on his back and Nawwed his hair with his teeth and was using hair to build a dam, I Pulled out a hand full hair and lower main from the bottom of the pad. My suggestion is a WARNING LABLE (when pulling steers expect strong traction and possible hair loss, Side affects to include bucking snorting farting and sometimes the feeling the ground is closing in on you fast)

ROFLMAO!!!:lol::lol::lol:

A very good example of why the neoprene tack scares the beejeebers out of me. I've been out of the horse scene for a long time. I was shocked that the good old fleece backed super cinches that were so popular back in my day are nearly impossible to find now. The local tack stores are full of this neoprene stuff. I finally found a felt cinch I thought would be okay. I was thrilled when I found my good old fleece backed super cinches could be found on EBAY!

andysgagirl 08-31-2009 09:17 AM

I have a tacky too pad and I love it. I don't think my horse sweats anymore or feels any warmer after a ride with this pad then he was when I used a fleece pad. My horse doens't mind the tacky-ness and it has never pulled his hair out. It defiantly doesn't slip around, which I love because my boy is still training and is very spooky...

I don't do any intense riding though, just trails and simple arena riding.

RoCru 08-31-2009 10:19 AM

andysgagirl: I'm with you, I don't do any major riding. I mostly pleasure ride at home or on the roads. I tried out the pad yesterday during Sundance's first ride with me. He did very well with it, and we had no issues out of it. I have to say that I am pleased with the pad. After a good ride, he had minimal sweating and just a tad shedding.

andysgagirl 09-03-2009 10:11 AM

I'm glad you liked it! I have been very happy with mine, but this thread has made me more cautious. I pay more attention now when I ride him to make sure it isn't hurting him. I would defiantly quit using it if it started to pull out his hair. But so far it's been great for us :-)

jxclass19 09-03-2009 12:57 PM

I have one too and I love it. None of my horses have had a problem with it.

Also for neoprene tack, with all the horses coming in and out it is SOOOOO much easier to clean after a work out. You can just hose it off with bleach water.

RoCru 09-04-2009 02:59 PM

I agree, if I ever noticed a problem I would definitely put a stop to using it. I hope it continues to do as well as it did on our last ride though. So far it seems like a decent investment.