The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   Improvements? (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/improvements-348489/)

evilamc 01-19-2014 03:16 PM

Improvements?

8 Attachment(s)
I posted pics over the summer of his hooves, and a lot was needing improvement! Since summer I have moved him to a new barn and started working with a new trimmer in Nov. Do you see improvements? I know his issues can't be fixed overnight but are we on the right track, do you think she's doing a good job? What could I do inbetween visits to help? She has us on a 4 week schedule right now.

The first set are from the Summer, the second set is from today, he was trimmed two weeks ago. I can get more pictures if you'd like, I just did these 2 shots for now so I could try to make the post easier to compare. Ugh battling thrush again, haven't been able to make it out much this last week to keep his treatment up so they went a little downhill again :( Back on top of it now though.

NorthernMama 01-19-2014 05:16 PM

The heels are still under-run and need to be brought forward. Next time the farrier/trimmer comes, take before and after pics so we can see how she is approaching your horse's trim.

princessfluffybritches 01-21-2014 01:48 PM

Like Mama said the heels are a bit forward, but it looks like they have been rasped to where they are capable at this time. And the biggest reason being the toe is flared, and also needs to be backed up. The long toe is pulling the heels forward.

Rialto 01-21-2014 02:20 PM

Yes, what NorthernMama and princessfulffybritches said. How are his footfalls? Heel first? Toe first? This can tell you a lot about how much progress has been made. :)

Something else that may be contributing to the forward running/collapsed heels is a negative plane coffin bone, aka negative plantar/palmar angle. In some of your photos, I noticed a bit of "bull-nosing" on the dorsal aspect of the capsule, which suggests that. It does not look severe, but it may be something you would want to mention to your vet and/or farrier to see what they think.

evilamc 01-21-2014 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rialto (Post 4578938)
Yes, what NorthernMama and princessfulffybritches said. How are his footfalls? Heel first? Toe first? This can tell you a lot about how much progress has been made. :)

Something else that may be contributing to the forward running/collapsed heels is a negative plane coffin bone, aka negative plantar/palmar angle. In some of your photos, I noticed a bit of "bull-nosing" on the dorsal aspect of the capsule, which suggests that. It does not look severe, but it may be something you would want to mention to your vet and/or farrier to see what they think.

My farrier has mentioned this actually and she's trimming how she believes to help it? Not sure how to explain it! He is starting to land heel first more now, he was landing toe first over the summer. She had me start him on MSM and switched hoof supplements to the horseshoers secret. She said the MSM helps with the internal structures?

Is there anything I can do inbetween trims to help? I have a hoof stand and rasp, would working the toes back some myself inbetween be a good idea?

I'll get pictures next time right after she does him, hes scheduled for first week of Feb!

NorthernMama 01-21-2014 06:21 PM

Sorry, I meant to say the heels need to be brought BACK, not forward. duh.

Being on a 4 week schedule should have brought those heels back already by now, so I'm inclined to think that your trimmer isn't being aggressive enough, but just going a smidge beyond maintaining what's there already. That's why I suggested b4 and after pics.

As for you doing work in between, on a 4 week schedule there probably isn't a need, however, if your horse really likes to grow feet in a hurry you could discuss this with your trimmer.

When is she coming out again?

evilamc 01-21-2014 07:27 PM

Shes coming back out Feb 3rd. Would he get sore if she was more aggressive? I wonder if she's being less aggressive about it because shes worried he will get sore? I have boots though and I use them on trails, so I can use them if he were to get sore.

NorthernMama 01-21-2014 09:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Aw... I just lost everything I typed... :(

Whether he would get sore is not something we can say from here. Every horse is different, the environment, etc. but the fact that you have boots for him is great! My gut says that she could do more, but hands-on is always better for decisions, of course.

There is improvement, just not as much as I would expect on average after three trims.

His right front is also contracted. I fight this battle with my mare constantly. She was ill-shod for many years before I got her and while her hooves are now about an inch wider in the back than they were, she still has one that gives me trouble. Getting the heel down and back will help.

Your pics, btw, are pretty good. Clear, which is nice. I would try to take the side shots directly from the side if you can. And another view that is helpful is with his foot off the ground, looking down from the heel to the toe. Like this: (please disregard the care of this hoof, the pic was taken to illustrate a heel problem).
Attachment 357874

loosie 01-23-2014 06:12 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Bearing in mind there are only a couple of pics to go on, so maybe inaccurate view, unfortunately I don't see any real improvement sorry. The toes esp fronts are still waaay stretched, heels forward & perhaps a bit high. Looks like front frogs could be stretched, so giving a false idea of a/p balance.

evilamc 01-23-2014 07:46 AM

Bleh well that sucks I was hoping we were more on the right track :( I'll take more pics right after he's trimmed and do more angles.l like northernmama suggested, should I ask her to be more aggressive with her trim? Thanks so much for marking he pictures! I did some in photoshop but I wasn't sure how to mark up the sole. Now I know how much needs to be worked! Bleh wish I could just find the magical farrier that could fix him up, She's 4th one this year :( I think she's doing better then the others though.
Posted via Mobile Device