The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   licking my face? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/licking-my-face-348713/)

Athena91013 01-19-2014 09:45 PM

licking my face?

Hey! haha, this may sound like a silly question- but I would really like an answer. I walked in the pasture to go see my Mare, and I was petting her a while, and then she looked over at me, and started licking my face. Is that an affectionate thing to do? or do horses just lick anything?

Thanks!!

boots 01-19-2014 11:46 PM

Horses don't lick like dogs do. They will occasionally lick each other in a mutual grooming.

I don't recommend it. Mainly because when horses are done with mutual grooming they don't say, "Okay, thanks." They push each other away or nip or turn their hind end to the other horse. You might put yourself at risk for injury.

Rocco boy 01-20-2014 12:02 AM

My mare licks something to see if it's food.
Perhaps you had been sweating at some poor and had a salty taste/smell ...
Be careful though they rest with there tounge the follow with the teeth haha.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sharpie 01-20-2014 12:29 AM

One of my friends who does equine therapy has a horse that is trained to give kisses (lick your face) on command. He is the only horse who I have ever allowed to even attempt it. I like my face too much to risk it that close to a mouthful of horse chompers if some pony decided to try something funny on a whim. I will sometimes let my guy lick my hand though, even then I watch closely to make sure those teeth don't get involved.

tinyliny 01-20-2014 12:43 AM

the consequences, if the horse decides to nip, are too great to risk. do NOT let your hrose lick your face. Hand, well, if you keep it really straight so it's hard for them to get their teeth on it, but face? I like my ugly mug the way it is!

alexischristina 01-20-2014 12:49 AM

Jackson licks when my hands are sweaty and I don't mind it BUT he's not a mouthy horse and it's hard to bite a flat hand. Would I ever let him lick my face? Absolutely not, that's way too close for comfort. Jackson gets to sit still when I kiss him on the nose but the seconds he puts his face in my face it's a no-go.

oh vair oh 01-20-2014 01:55 AM

One of our mares does this:

http://31.media.tumblr.com/6d8a68cb1...htao1_1280.png

I can say she's the only horse I would trust to do this. She is very affectionate and is not a biter. I'm pretty sure it's just because your skin is salty, but mine will randomly lick me when I am grooming her or giving her attention. Probably a mutual-scratch kind of thing.. without the "scratch".

That being said, we've owned this mare for many, many years. She is very, very gentle and broke and respectful. I definitely do NOT let the yearling do this, or any other horse for that matter. xD

Emma2003 01-20-2014 02:44 AM

I've never had a horse lick my face but have had them lick my hands often. I always thought it must be because they tasted salt.

LeLeeB 01-20-2014 08:40 PM

I don't think I would let a horse lick my face. I'd be afraid the next thing would be a bite!

bsms 01-20-2014 08:52 PM

My mare sometimes licks my arm. I wouldn't trust any horse with my face...and my face isn't worth saving, except to me! :wink: