The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   too old for first foal? if not, what should i put her under? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/too-old-first-foal-if-not-3488/)

jazzyrider 09-24-2007 09:22 AM

too old for first foal? if not, what should i put her under?
 
both me and my husband are both keen to look into breeding our thoroughbred mare. she is one in a million for a thoroughbred and would love to carry that sweet, gentle quiet gene through to a foal. her abilities as a dressage horse also makes me want to get offspring from her.

my biggest concern is that she is already nearly 14 and has not yet had a foal. i am planning on showing her for the next year or so. will she be too old by that time for a first foal??

if not, what should i put her under? the obvious choice would be a thoroughbred but i am not planning on selling the foal so i was thinking about possibly crossing. there is a stunning arab stallion available the would be ideal. there is also a nice quarter horse with very desirable attributes.

any ideas?

mell 09-25-2007 11:31 PM

hmmm it depends on the actual horse, if she is nice and healthy i dont see why not!

As for the stallion maybe a ASH or warmblood? At a dressage comp i was told by one of the judges that ASH have natural rhythm and balance

jazzyrider 09-26-2007 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mell
hmmm it depends on the actual horse, if she is nice and healthy i dont see why not!

As for the stallion maybe a ASH or warmblood? At a dressage comp i was told by one of the judges that ASH have natural rhythm and balance

that was what i thought. i was having a talk to dad last night and he reckons as long as she is healthy then she is definitely not too old.

warmblood would be nice and i tried to find a warmblood stallion in my area and couldnt find one :(

Sara 09-26-2007 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzyrider
warmblood would be nice and i tried to find a warmblood stallion in my area and couldnt find one :(

That's what artificial insemination is for:)

KANSAS_TWISTER 09-27-2007 03:22 AM

my friend bred her mare for the first time at 12 and had a healthy foal, i last saw vanika (the mare) about 3 years ago at a horse show and talked to the then owner of vanika , who told me that she had bred her a few more times and at the age of 25 year old had given birth to still born twins, (99% of the time twins do not servive the birth) vanika ended up being sent out of provence after that (i'm not sure where) but she was a really nice looking tb black mare.

WildFeathers 09-27-2007 02:27 PM

If she's in good shape, and the vet says she's fine to have a baby, don't give it a second thought :D . A fit fourteen year old shouldn't have any problem. An arab could be nice, but it could counter act that gentleness you like. You have a hot blooded mare that happens to be exceptionally laid back, and it'd be a risk to breed her to something equally hot blooded. Just me opinion! Hope I was helpful!

jazzyrider 09-28-2007 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildFeathers
If she's in good shape, and the vet says she's fine to have a baby, don't give it a second thought :D . A fit fourteen year old shouldn't have any problem. An arab could be nice, but it could counter act that gentleness you like. You have a hot blooded mare that happens to be exceptionally laid back, and it'd be a risk to breed her to something equally hot blooded. Just me opinion! Hope I was helpful!

i did already think about that but, i have never said no to a challenge :) i once had an arab and know they are pretty hot but i wouldnt mind a little bit of spark in the youngen :) just not too much spark lol im too old for dancing, prancing, selectively deaf horses lol even though i am only 28 :)

i could try AI but that would be really really expensive wouldnt it?? havent looked into it much but its just something that i see being really exxy.

thanks for the help guys :)



i do still have plenty of time to decide though :) a warmblood would be lovely and if i could swing it, i would definitely consider the warmblood over the arab.

Frog 10-04-2007 08:00 PM

I do not see any problems with breeding her if she is healthy. To ease your mind I would have a vet do an internal on her when you are ready just to make sure.

As for what stud, it all depends on what you want to do with the offspring.
If its dressage, then definitely go either warmblood or stock horse. Showing depends on what height you want, but there is a trend now of crossing TBs with pony types

It's all personal choice, have fun!

jazzyrider 10-05-2007 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frog
I do not see any problems with breeding her if she is healthy. To ease your mind I would have a vet do an internal on her when you are ready just to make sure.

As for what stud, it all depends on what you want to do with the offspring.
If its dressage, then definitely go either warmblood or stock horse. Showing depends on what height you want, but there is a trend now of crossing TBs with pony types

It's all personal choice, have fun!

yes, a vet check will definitely be happening before hand :)

i am after a horse that is going to be a good all rounder. dressage is my main desire but i also want something i can do eventing on.

i like the idea of a warmblood daddy but i really like this guy. he seems to have everything. only thing is he is unbroken so i dont know how he would perform. i am still going to keep looking though. i would like a stallion who i know has done something.

xkatex 10-07-2007 12:25 PM

My riding instructor bred her 18yrs mare for the first time last spring and she caught and is still in foal. Just as in humans, its true, as you get older the less likley it will be to have offspring. But I think she still has a few more years of producion left.

As for what breed you want it all depends. You said your not interested in selling the foal which does in a way open alot of doors. Is your mare registered? Perhaps breeding to a TB isnt a bad idea? Im not sure which traits you would like to bring out of your mare, but remember its all a game of chance, as im sure you already know. Not to be sterotypical, but arabians are generally a "hot" breed as are TBs. Perhaps breeding to one is a bit of a risk. A QH may ad a bit more bulk in the foal, but it all depends on what you are breeding for.

You said you wanted to breed your mare because of her personality? Well generally the foals attitude is developed when outside in the world with its dam, although it never hurts to try to equal the personalities between both sire and dam. Are you also trying to obtain a certain build? Is your TB mare slender or bulky?

I hope I helped a little bit, Im use to breeding standardbred and bascially its whoever has the most money, fastest time, and best offspring that we breed to. When you choose a stallion try to find foals that have dams of the same breed as your dam.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0