The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Excitement on Day Three of Breathing Easy! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/excitement-day-three-breathing-easy-34925/)

7Ponies 08-28-2009 06:08 PM

Excitement on Day Three of Breathing Easy!

The saga of Ms. Dixie continues.

We are on day three of no heaves. Still being kept in the barn, but today I brought her out for 30 minutes and hand walked her and let her eat grass where I had mowed several days ago.

While we were out there, the bank down the street got robbed, and the cops and police helicopters were constantly going over our property. The bank robber had run into the woods somewhere in our vacinity, he was armed with a 9mm.

I didn't see anyone, but that darned helicopter buzzing overhead was more than annoying, especially when I was holding the lead of a horse that had been cooped up in the barn for three days now!!!

Dixie was good though. A couple of times she did a sideways spook as the copter buzzed low, but she was very mindful of where I was and never once pulled on me.

She's been so sweet through all this!!

smrobs 08-28-2009 06:18 PM

That's great that she has been doing good. Keep up the good work. :D

Did they catch the bank robber?

7Ponies 08-28-2009 08:08 PM

No, they didn't find him.

MIEventer 08-28-2009 08:21 PM

It is so hard when our babies suffer - it was very traumatic for me when Nelson went through that 2 day choke episode, and I couldn't even fathom what he was going through........

But on a positive note, 3 days with no heaves! That's great! Is she a good girl in her stall? Nelson was naughty when he was done with being cooped up....but he's not a "stallable" horse.

7Ponies 08-28-2009 08:47 PM

Considering I keep my horses outside as much as possible, she's been very well behaved in her stall. But she's messy (pees a lot).

When I'm putting new shavings in, I tie her outside so the dust isn't too bad for her (although the shaving dust is not the cause of her heaves, it certainly isn't good for her to breath when her lungs are inflammed!)

Anyway, I tied her to the tree outside the barn today, and the little stinker was doing her very best to untie the knot ;)

MIEventer 08-28-2009 09:04 PM

What causes heaves?

NorthernMama 08-28-2009 09:26 PM

MIEventer: Heaves = COPD, maybe you know it by that name.

7Ponies -- I'll bet your girl was very excited and wanted to go catch the bad-man! Did you tell her she has to heal up a bit more first and then whisper to her that she could chase him at night in her dreams? How's the new paddock coming?

7Ponies 08-28-2009 09:40 PM

I'm off next week (vacation time) and will be building the paddock then.

I had to laugh, thinking if the bank robber tried to take one of my horses for his "getaway" he wouldn't get too far. Gandy wouldn't leave the barn area (not without Dixie) and Dixie wouldn't get too far before not being able to breathe, LOL. What a bunch of horses I have! But I luv 'em anyway.

MIEventer - heaves is like asthma. We have pretty much figured Dixie is bothered by something in the pasture. We have a lot of molds and mildew in the summer months here, you can see black mold growing all over the ground out there, it's everywhere. So although I'm not certain what the cause it, it's definitely something out there, because keeping her in the stall has totally improved her condition. And that's the OPPOSITE of what they tell you to do with heaves, usually they say, put the horse outside and leave them there.

Live and learn :)