The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Premature foals (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/premature-foals-34951/)

Kim 08-29-2009 04:58 AM

Premature foals

Just wondering what experiances any one else might have with a prem foal?? Mine was due on 22nd August, but foaled on the 1st. He is perfect in every way, and growing and developing beautifully..

equus717 08-29-2009 09:43 AM

that foal would be determined by a vet as a full term baby. my mare always foals about 3 weeks early from her due date. how is he doing or she? mine are doing great they are now 4 months and 3 months old. i will be weaning them together in late october.

CheyAut 08-29-2009 06:40 PM

Mares don't have a due date. I've heard of foals being born normal and healthy at just under 300 days, up to over a full year (I had a maiden foal at 368 last year). I have a mare who consistently foals around day 324. Mares won't foal before they are ready. The vast majority of foals born alive and who survive, are not premature, regardless of how long the mare was in foal for.

Kim 08-29-2009 10:00 PM

No, people just kept asking me 'is he prem'. i thought he was smal when he was born, although I am used to huge t/bred foals.

He's doing great. He's doubled in size and weight, he's such a gorgeous, friendly energetic little thing, he's a month old now and he wears a halter, leads with a bum rope and i can pick up his feet. He's so confident doing brilliant. Which is why I didnt let other peoples comments bother me :)

The people who said about being prem were both cattle farmers. Maybe its a bit different for cows, I dont know LOL

weefoal 08-30-2009 02:55 PM

We have had a couple preemies born over the years. Usually they are very small and a little slower then foals born at a longer gestation. They sleep more and sounder then a full term foal. We had one we had to always shake to wake up. They can also be narcoleptic or "fainting foals" but outgrow that by about 6 months.

Kim 08-30-2009 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weefoal (Post 391513)
We have had a couple preemies born over the years. Usually they are very small and a little slower then foals born at a longer gestation. They sleep more and sounder then a full term foal. We had one we had to always shake to wake up. They can also be narcoleptic or "fainting foals" but outgrow that by about 6 months.

^^ Omg I think that would really scare me!!! That doesnt sound like my foal... he is perfectly normal in every way and has grown a LOT this past month.. How early were these foals??? Mine was only 2/3 weeks... I read somewhere prem is technically 330 days or earlier.. mine was 315 i think.