The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   How does a clubbed hoof affect horses? (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/how-does-clubbed-hoof-affect-horses-349594/)

BudAndRocky 01-21-2014 02:19 AM

How does a clubbed hoof affect horses?

Hi I just got a horse and he has a clubbed hoof. I was wondering how this affects horses?
Thanks

stevenson 01-21-2014 03:09 AM

Depends on how severe the club foot is, if it is minor then he should be able to a lot of things, the more severe it is , the more limited he will be.

Palomine 01-21-2014 04:07 AM

Makes them lame, including into back and hind legs. Makes them uncomfortable, and when it is bad, can lead to them having to be PTS as nothing else can be done.

BudAndRocky 01-21-2014 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenson (Post 4575834)
Depends on how severe the club foot is, if it is minor then he should be able to a lot of things, the more severe it is , the more limited he will be.

I got told it was bad but not really bad the old owner didn't say much and the farrier wasn't much help either. I don't want to do stuff that might hurt him or won't be good for him.

BudAndRocky 01-21-2014 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palomine (Post 4576002)
Makes them lame, including into back and hind legs. Makes them uncomfortable, and when it is bad, can lead to them having to be PTS as nothing else can be done.

It is on his front right leg he won't be doing any jumping. It's just walk trot and canter would he be ok with doing this? Also what is PTS?
Thanks

princessfluffybritches 01-21-2014 01:22 PM

Post a picture. Or at least rate it 1-5, 1 being barely noticeable. It does really depend on the individual horse . Many do very well, but it depends on what you want to do with him. What has he done in the past?

SEAmom 01-21-2014 01:47 PM

Please post a picture. It is uncommon for a club foot to be unmanageable, constantly lame, or cause a horse to be PTS.
Posted via Mobile Device

SEAmom 01-21-2014 01:48 PM

Pts = put to sleep
Posted via Mobile Device

Rialto 01-21-2014 01:53 PM

Club feet are often the result of tension of the Deep Digital Flexor Tendon (DDFT) that runs down the back of the limb and attaches to the coffin bone. They can be the result of genetics or habitual stances (always nursing with the same foot forward, etc). If caught early, when still a foal, there are things that a vet and farrier can do to minimize the "clubbiness" foot (check ligament desmotomy with tip shoes, etc).

If your horse is not a foal, the best thing you can do for it is to maintain regular, professional farrier care. By helping your horse to get a heel first landing on all four corners (or close as you can, a severely clubbed foot sometimes cannot), you can offer relief to the DDFT. Since tendons are not elastic, it is important that your horse is trimmed and/or shod to offer the best base of support at the back of the foot to help eliminate tendon tension that could result in lameness. With proper and consistent care by a capable farrier, I have seen many clubbed footed horses live relatively pain-free, and athletic lives.

CLaPorte432 01-21-2014 02:17 PM

893 Attachment(s)
i have a 7 year old mare with a grade 1 club. it has never once caused her to be lame, have pain, affect her walk/stance or athletic ability in any way.
Posted via Mobile Device