The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   When Can I work him again? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/when-can-i-work-him-again-34985/)

free_sprtd 08-29-2009 09:10 PM

When Can I work him again?

So I'm moving Thunder on monday to the new place. When can I start working him again, and riding? Also How long should I keep him isolated in his stall? I was thinking just a couple days, when I moved him last it was just a week, and he just about went crazy being stuck in there. He's an easy keeper, but does get bored fast, so I would hate it if he picked up a nasty habit. The new place's turnout is only fenced with the Hot tape stuff, no fence yet. I could turn him out in the arena for a bit, but I would really like to introduce him outside sooner than later before the weather turns bad. Also, what behavior should I be concerned about and be watching for after I move him?

o0hawaiigirl0o 08-29-2009 11:53 PM

I've never moved my own horse before, but at our barn we have had quite a few new horses. I find that the time it takes for them to really settle in depends on the horse. Some may take a week while others take a full year to adjust to new surroundings.

For the first day I would see how he behaves, wether her is overly excited/scared or just curious and alert. If it's the latter, I think a walk around the property is a great way to show the horse his new home. You can choose to ride or hand-walk him, again depending. Your horse will probably prefer one way more than the other.

Since last time a week in a stall was too much I'd say go for maybe half of that, three or four days. If you're worried about him and the fencing for his first turnout session, work him a bit in the arena or lunge him to get the edge off any possible silliness. For his first turnout, you could keep him out for only an hour or so, under supervison. If you think he's not ready for it slowly allow him more time outside. A few hours each day until he and you feel ready for full turnout or whatever your new barn provides.

Usually horses will be extra alert on their first few days in a new place. They might pace in their stalls and whinny a lot. They also might be off their feed. I wouldn't be too worried about that unless it goes on for a week or longer. Do make sure that he is drinking an aquadate amount of water. A lot of times nervous horses will not drink water.

As for working him again, just go by how he is feeling. At first he might be looky and distracted while you ride, but don't get on his case about it. Just make sure he is obediant and listening to you. :) Hope this helps.

free_sprtd 08-30-2009 12:12 AM

that is awesome advice thank you so much! Very very helpful indeed. I'm getting so excited, but I know the anxiety will be built up as well, so the more I prepare myself, the better ill be able to handle his reactions. Awesome advice again thank you so much!

Thatgirlsacowboy 08-30-2009 12:58 AM

I just moved Cricket saturday. I let her have the first day to herself. The second day I took her out and walked her around the whole seven acres. She got to see all the horses and I turned her out into the arena to let her run. I started working her right away because her back leg gets stocked up and she can't let sit. She did just fine. Very distracted at first, stopping to neigh and stuff... But I went out today to lunge her and work her and she did just fine. Listening the whole time.

Jessabel 08-30-2009 11:34 AM

Any new horse should be quarantined for about two weeks. You don't want the horses at the new barn to pass on anything to your horse, and you don't want your horse to spread anything he might be carrying. It's just a precaution. You can still put him in the arena and on cross ties and whatnot as long as he doesn't have contact with the other horses.

You probably don't have to wait more than a few days to start working him. He knows you, and it's not much different than taking him to a show where he's not in his own environment. It's when you buy a new horse that you have to wait two weeks before riding them because they're in a new place and they don't know you.

Gillian 08-30-2009 12:31 PM

We turned Zeus out pretty much right away. By himself of course, and he was turned out along for a week before being introduced to the herd. I wouldn't even thing of keeping him in for more than a day or two. He'd go crazy. Understandably.

I rode him the first day too, but that was because he settled right in and was perfectly calm. It really just depends on the horse.

smrobs 08-30-2009 03:54 PM

You know Thunder, just go by how he tells you he is feeling. If he is calm and curious, I would imagine that you could put him directly to work. As for turning him out in the tape fencing, I would hand walk him around the perimeter to just kinda let him know where the fence is. If he has never been in hot wire before, he WILL get bitten at least once so I would make sure and watch him until after that first bite just to make sure that he doesn't freak out and run through fences in the other direction. With most horses, one bite is all it takes and they won't touch it ever again (even if the juice is off).

free_sprtd 08-31-2009 04:16 AM

ya he's used to being around hot wire, and respects it. Soooo tomorrow is the day! I'm so nervous :(

1dog3cats17rodents 08-31-2009 06:25 PM

New horses usually get ridden the first or second day at my barn. If a horse goes on trial, or goes to a show they get ridden in the new place right away. I don't see iot as any different for moving a horse to a new barn

wild_spot 08-31-2009 07:05 PM

As soon as I get a new horse they are turned out straight away. I generally ride them on the second day.

I agree with the above poster. We take them to shows and expect them to focus and work as usual, that is no different than moving to a new barn.

I can understand quarantining. I don't, simply because I don't have the facilities. I don't think I would leave my horse in it's stall 24/7 though.