The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Odd coloring (white coat, blue skin) (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/odd-coloring-white-coat-blue-skin-350018/)

Blueberrywithsparkles 01-21-2014 06:50 PM

Odd coloring (white coat, blue skin)

my arabian crossed with something is mostly white.
Specially during winter. In summer she looks almost like a grey paint and a lil flea bitten but white coat. Besides the freckles & slight black u can barely c on her hind leg. I would show a photo but im not sure how on here.

She is 15hh. Short.neck high.shoulders
when you give her a bath the skin is bright blue. So im pretty sure that is why they named her blueberry. she has a BIG sassy personality. One of the best horses ive had. Very prancy in her trot & a fast pace walk she looks like she belongs in a parade the way she sorta flicks her feet, Tucks her head
in. ive been around arabians full blooded & cross & I havent met one like her at all. Just looking for thoughts on breed is crossed with & what the coloring of skin is called.
Please no negative comments. This is off my phone I have no computer & rushed it because of my kids lol!
Posted via Mobile Device

Blueberrywithsparkles 01-21-2014 06:52 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

smrobs 01-21-2014 06:57 PM

Do you have a picture that clearly shows that blue skin?

verona1016 01-21-2014 07:59 PM

I know someone who has a pinto that is now almost entirely grayed out. A couple summers ago I remember her being a very lovely and surprising shade of blue on the non-white spots when her owner was bathing her. It wasn't the skin, just the way the light looked on the gray hairs with the dark skin underneath. It sounds like maybe the same effect happening on your horse :-)

Blueberrywithsparkles 01-21-2014 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smrobs (Post 4581426)
Do you have a picture that clearly shows that blue skin?

I do on my facebook but idk how to put her here

It sounds just like the pinto. Grey looking up close but wet its dark skin (blue)
Posted via Mobile Device

smrobs 01-22-2014 11:41 AM

Since you're posting from a mobile device, I'm sorry but I can't help you upload a pic. I only know how to do it from a computer.

MangoRoX87 01-25-2014 10:32 PM

She's just a grey:)

kiltsrhott 01-26-2014 01:41 PM

Without seeing a photo I would guess she is grey. Grey horses are born a colour (any colour). If they are non-dilute they will be born with the dark skin characteristic of their base colour. As they mature their hairs will lighten and turn grey but their skin colour remains the same. This is why many "white" horses have dark skin underneath their white hair. My dad's appaloosa mare is a grey. She was born black with a blanket, and greyed out. She is now entirely white and fleabitten but when you give her a bath you can see the dark skin where she used to be black and pink skin where her appaloosa blanket used to be.

Blueberrywithsparkles 01-27-2014 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiltsrhott (Post 4617778)
Without seeing a photo I would guess she is grey. Grey horses are born a colour (any colour). If they are non-dilute they will be born with the dark skin characteristic of their base colour. As they mature their hairs will lighten and turn grey but their skin colour remains the same. This is why many "white" horses have dark skin underneath their white hair. My dad's appaloosa mare is a grey. She was born black with a blanket, and greyed out. She is now entirely white and fleabitten but when you give her a bath you can see the dark skin where she used to be black and pink skin where her appaloosa blanket used to be.

Yup it looks grey up close but the fur etc is white fleabitten. So fascinating. Thank yall for your input :)
Posted via Mobile Device