The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Standardbreds! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/standardbreds-350282/)

BudAndRocky 01-22-2014 05:26 AM

Standardbreds!

Hi I was wondering why some people don't like Standardbreds? I have 2 and they are amazing and well behaved and really friendly so why does some people hate them? I was at a horse auction once and I was looking at this sb and this 7 year old girl walks past and says " eww it's just a ugly old standardbred " !!!!!!!! The sb was a total sweetheart to! And this was coming from a 7 year old girl!

Zexious 01-22-2014 08:19 AM

Everyone has preferences. I will say that, while they're not a particularly popular breed, I've never really met anyone who had any sort of prejudice against them.

rookie 01-22-2014 09:23 AM

I have met a ton of people who dislike them. I regard them as narrow minded. A lot of it comes from just flat out lack of awareness. There are auction houses that don't even show the standardbreds they just straight away sell them to the kill buyers because no one else will bid on them. In my experience, standardbreds are smart willing and very attractive. There are ugly horses in every breed. I have had people say our standardbred was "too pretty" to be a standardbred. They really thought I was lying. I had people ask me if they can jump or if they can canter. Which when you think about it are pretty silly questions because they are horses.

BlueSpark 01-22-2014 11:46 AM

my experiences with standardbreds have been very mixed. I have ridden some great ones, that were versatile, quiet, athletic, with tons of work ethic and a great attitude, and then I have worked with the other end of the spectrum: Odd personalities, disproportionately large heads, clumsy and very hard to retrain to normal gaits. I don't know many people that want a horse that wont canter, refuses to trot, only pace, or dislikes any gait but a trot(in various degrees of teeth rattling speeds.).

the good ones are amazing, and the bad ones are...not. I would definitely consider owning one in the future.

wakiya 01-22-2014 06:29 PM

There's a stb track near where I live and the man I board Wakiya with boards racers. Most of them are very nice. A few we're crazy one had literally the ugliest head I've ever seen in a horse. Most are cute.
Posted via Mobile Device

ForeverSunRider 01-22-2014 10:38 PM

I don't have any experience with them - they're just uncommon by me, I guess. We have mostly QH's and Arabians in my neck of the woods. I've never heard much bad about them though - I would assume they're just another breed and their mares are a bit snotty and their stallions are cocky and their geldings are a bit mellow - much like the genders of any other breed.

I didn't know they were considered ugly. Could someone post a picture of one? Do they even look that much different from other breeds? 'Cause I personally think most horses - no matter their breed - look alike. Of course, there are subtle differences, but I mean, they're all pretty much constructed the same way.

But yeah, pictures anyone?

Inga 01-22-2014 10:47 PM

I have seen so many Standardbred horses in this area as there are several Amish and they are one of the breeds of choice to pull their buggies. They tend to have very ground covering trots. I personally was never excited about them as a breed but Have met so many sweet, gentle standardbred horses that it is impossible to not at least have an appreciation for their tolerance and gentle nature. Would I ever own one? Well, maybe, as they do tend to make nice trail mounts. I would look for one with a less "plain" head. Some tend to be less attractive then others.

EmilyJoy 01-22-2014 11:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's our old Standardbred mare(died a while back), sweetest horse ever with so much try...Very, very beginner friendly, and put up with everything from races to trails to carts and sleds, did it all with a "smile". Never a buck bolt or bite, would she win a beauty contest? No, but she definitely won us over. :-)

Attachment 358370

wakiya 01-23-2014 02:22 AM

I have some pictures of the cute ones I didn't get a picture of the one I nicknamed "Nose" for her giant roman nose though. That's the ugly one. Unfortunate face.

Here are some of the others I have more pictures somewhere but these are the ones i could find:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.n...79819157_n.jpg

My favorite stb who's always back and forth from the track:

https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/...67550040_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.n...73885841_n.jpg

RedTree 01-23-2014 03:56 AM

I'm not a huge Stb fan, but I've been working with them for just over a month now and there's a few I would take home in a heartbeat.

My friend has 4, one that racer, one of her own and 2 she's considering selling.

I think the sterotype of stbs is a big ugly box head, can't trot, is all people ever think.

They are however great beginner horses, they would happily plod around all day :)