The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   frustration... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/frustration-35035/)

dreamrideredc 08-30-2009 04:44 PM

frustration...

how do you stop yourself from getting frustrated? im a naturally impatient person but horses have really helped me get better at that. anyways, i sometimes find myself getting frustrated...for example, if i cant get my boy moving forward at the trot, i get frustrated. then i stop myself, tell myself how unfair im being, and then get frustrated at myself! lol...a never ending circle! but like we brought my horse to a new place and he was quite excited (which is expected) and he would not hold still while i was grooming him and as soon as i took the halter off to put the bridle on he barged forward and almost squished me flat. and then once i got the bridle on he wouldnt hold still long enough to let me buckle the straps...so what do i do, yank his mouth! i was so mad at myself. afterwards once i got to the ring he was fine and he normally doesnt do this. so my question is - what is the best thing to do when your horse is trying to barge into you or something similar to that, and how do you keep yourself from getting frustrated? i feel im getting better at this but there is still room for improvement! you know how that goes :wink: thx in adv! =]

TwendeHaraka 08-30-2009 10:04 PM

I used to have a big problem getting frustrated at my boy. I know it's irritating, believe me, haha. The only advice I can give you is that you have to MAKE yourself calm down. It sucks, and I hated this advice until I could make myself follow it, and now I'm a lot better at keeping calm and collected when I'm on his back or if he does something on the ground. Take a deep breath when he does something, sit back, and keep moving forward. Don't even think about it. Keep thinking positively... That he WILL do it...eventually. ;] It takes a while to get to the point where you can push aside the frustration-been there done that, lol. Good luck. I know it's hard.

dreamrideredc 08-31-2009 08:18 PM

haha thanks for the advice =] he probably would have calmed down if i wouldnt have YANKED ON HIS MOUTH! out of all the things i feel bad about doing that is probably number one! horsies have sensitive mouths and its mean to pull on them :-( my old trainer always taught us to punish the horse, and once i stopped and thought about it, (and read some books :wink:) i realized that there is ALWAYS a reason for a horse to do something, 9 out of 10 being the persons fault! so i have been getting better, but im curious when your horse is spazzing out and trying to run into you then its kinda hard to stay calm...so what do you do?

EquineExpert 09-01-2009 09:10 AM

i used to have a big problem with staying calm. in my first few lessons i would get so frustrated i would just make matters worse. i would just remember to breathe. breathing really calms you down. just breathe and think positive. it really helped me.

o0hawaiigirl0o 09-01-2009 04:39 PM

I used to get really fustrated with Miss Take, then she'd get fustrated, too. I used to yank on her mouth, too, which only made things worse. After realizing that this was a problem, I started off by simply stopping whatever we were doing when I go mad/fustrated. I'd just halt her, take a deep breath and relax. Then we'd start working again, but on something that was easier for both of us. When I actually took the time to make myself calm and relaxed, my horse didn't get flustered or confused. We still have our bad moments, but they are few and far between. When I do get the same fustrated feeling, I just take a step back, view it from both of our perspectives, and breathe.

dreamrideredc 09-01-2009 09:04 PM

thx for the advice guys! i went to the barn today and my boy wasnt paying attention/listening some of the time so nstead of getting mad i managed to stay calm and for the most part he listened! :D yay!