The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   he won't canter! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/he-wont-canter-35076/)

fuzzyfeet 08-31-2009 02:04 PM

he won't canter!

My pony Wally refuses point blank to canter, what should I do?

Jillyann 08-31-2009 02:11 PM

How are you asking for the canter?

tempest 08-31-2009 02:14 PM

Does he just continue to trot faster and faster and eventually just stop?

fuzzyfeet 08-11-2010 11:35 AM

I'm leaning forward, clucking, giving him rein to stretch out, and lots and lots of leg. Tempest, he does trot faster and faster, but he never stops by himself, I have to ask him to.

GreyRay 08-11-2010 11:38 AM

Sounds like maybe crop cues would help? I dono...
Posted via Mobile Device

Icyred 08-11-2010 11:55 AM

DON'T LEAN FORWARD. Sit tall and straight and as with a distinct and clear aid. Bring your inside hip forward, outside leg back and maybe even kiss (that is how I know a lot of horses are trained to canter, with the kiss that is). If he is still not listening with clear and concise aids, I would consider using a crop in your case. In using the crop you ask first and then if he doesn't respond, smack him behind your leg to get him to go.

Make sure you have a good position and your heels are down in case he tries to give a little buck at the crop (some horses/ponies do occasionally though usually nothing bad).

ErikaLynn 08-11-2010 11:56 AM

dont lean, and dont give with your hands, keep a steady contact with his mouth, keep your legs on him and wack him on the rear with a crop

SPhorsemanship 08-11-2010 09:18 PM

If you lean forward, you are not asking him to come up into the canter from behind, forward impulsion comes from the hind end of the horse. You need to seat deep, lean slightly back, bring your inside leg forward and hold that leg on them(don't kick), keep contact with the outside rein and then squeeze, bump, and then kick with the outside leg. Think as if you are pushing the horse up into the bit.

Deerly 08-12-2010 12:19 AM

Great advice :) Also -- you do not want to teach him to rush into the canter like that with the crazy unbalanced trot. If you ask for the canter and he starts trotting faster, put on the breaks and try again. You don't want the crazy trot so don't accept it! Drop down to a nice trot as many times as it takes, he should get the message.

You can also try lunging your horse to teach him to canter and become used to verbal cues.

Lean back, use a crop if necessary and push the horse forward with your seat. Teaching my horse to canter I noticed it's easier to get him to move gears going into a corner.

dedebird 08-12-2010 03:22 AM

errr i'm not sure if this helps but crop or mabye even saying canter?