The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   Pregnant horse with bad feet (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/pregnant-horse-bad-feet-351002/)

saddlebredridder 01-23-2014 09:29 AM

Pregnant horse with bad feet

I just got this mare so I did not cause this to her feet. The guy I did buy her from has well over 40 head of horses so the brood mares do not get a trim. Her feet are really cracked and splitting it is hard to look at. She was on hard ground and stones. Hear in TN you get clay or rocks under the top soil and he has rocks while I have clay. I wanted to get a farrier out her to trim her but he said I would have to drug her first to get her to stand for the farrier. She is due Feb or March. She has been a brood mare for some time but before this she was a show horse. I just don't think her feet can handle not being done. She is not lame and I can pick them up to clean them just fine. Should I wait until she has the baby or try to have the farrier over to trim her? I want to do what is best for my new mare.

CLaPorte432 01-23-2014 10:18 AM

i have my mare trimmed at 10 months. she stood like a champ and was not uncomfortable at all. my farrier knew she was bred, but it wasnt difficult for her.

is this mare halter broke? can you mess with her feet?
Posted via Mobile Device

Kayella 01-23-2014 10:23 AM

If you can pick up her feet to clean them, then she should be able to be trimmed just fine. If she gets impatient or tired too quickly, have the farrier do sets. Have him do the fronts one session, and then have him trim the hinds the next week. A lot less stressful on her if she really gets that worked up about being trimmed.

saddlebredridder 01-23-2014 10:32 AM

Yes she is halter broke in fact she is broke to ride just the last 3 years she has been on 50 acres and not messed with. I think she was hit too much at the trainers she has a problem with her poll I have to go slow with haltering her. It can be done as long as you talk soft to her and be slow.

saddlebredridder 01-23-2014 10:33 AM

I will try to get some pics of her feet please do not think bad of me I did just get her to my place in Dec.

smrobs 01-23-2014 10:58 AM

If you can pick up her feet without her fighting you, then a good farrier will be able to take his time and get her trimmed. With horses like her who are out of shape or injured or old and can't hold a foot up for extended periods of time, sometimes you just have to pick it up, trim a bit, and set it down before the horse gets too tired to hold it and tries to take it away.

Where most folks run into problems with that is you need a farrier who is also a horseman so he can recognize when the horse has had enough and can stop before going too far and creating a training issue.

If you can't get her to stand without fighting, then what I would do is work on her training before calling a farrier. She's been without hoof care for over 3 years, I doubt if another few weeks are going to cause permanent damage...but drugging her and/or having her fight could.

princessfluffybritches 01-23-2014 11:04 AM

The pregnancy must have sucked all the nutrition out of her that made her feet not healthy.

Smrobs is right, a good farrier can do little bits at a time with breaks.

Golden Horse 01-23-2014 11:08 AM

I agree with Smrobs, I usually do, it saves time, if the mare has been without footcare for that long, and isn't lame, then there is no panic to getting her feet done. Here is the mare I bought, 9 years, yes 9 YEARS without a trim

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/b...5thSept2-1.jpg

I let her foal out, and then worked with her to get her used to the idea, she did fine in the end.

Yogiwick 01-23-2014 01:53 PM

Wouldn't hurt to put her on a joint supplement, or if you are waiting for a farrier just get a little rasp and touch up the edges yourself. I wouldn't be hesitant to tranq her or definitely fight with her (not good anyways!) but I agree that you shouldn't need to.

Bondre 01-23-2014 03:03 PM

If you can pick up her feet ok I'm sure you can get her trimmed. I got a pregnant mare last summer, not sure how advanced she was at the time but she had long feet and I taught her to lift them so I could trim them. She did fine, we took frequent rests ( for my benefit too) and gradually we both got used to the trimming business. She foaled in September so in fact she was 9 or 10 months when I started trimming her.
If you can rasp the rough edges yourself you can go slow with her. If not, a sympathetic farrier who takes the time necessary for your mare.
Posted via Mobile Device