The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   very strong (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/very-strong-35114/)

roxanne21bobs 09-01-2009 05:53 AM

very strong

hi, my new horse is starting to feel his feet, plenty of energy etc and now hes starting to get extreamly strong towards a fence. Im taking him to his first showjumping in a couple of weeks and i dont wanna go round it out of control! ive tried half halting , the only thing that seems to work is giving him his head, then he slows down.. however going round a course i dont feel this is possible, he was in a snaffle but ive tried the 3 ring gag and didnt make him any better. Do i try another bit? grid work? different nose band? thanks x

hollybee 09-01-2009 06:58 AM

my friend's horse was like that, she did some grid work with her instructor and it slowed Razz right down, i'd try that first, then think about bits, nosebands etc...

have you got an instructor that you can ask for advise ? or anyone that will be able to help you out ? they might have some more ideas about what to do

good luck =]

ridingismylife2 09-01-2009 08:43 AM

grids and lots of flatwork! :)

anrz 09-01-2009 10:25 AM

I agree with ridingismylife- gridwork and lots of flatwork. Another thing that works for me (it's weird, but it works) is if you expect you and your horse to be balanced, steady, and going at a moderate pace. Somehow, it helps. Hey, it was in PH from a top trainer, that has to count for something :). I've tried it and it does help. If you expect him to get really strong, he's going to get really strong. Of course, that's not going to help a LOT- visualizing will only go so far :).
Make sure you have a steady but LIGHT contact. If you just pull back consistently when you jump with him, it just gives him something to lean against and go faster. I don't know if you do that, just an idea. Is he good for flatwork, just gets really strong when jumping? I would do lots of little bounces or something like a bounce and then a rollback to a little grid? Just see if you can trot through it steadily. Maybe he'll start to slow down to be a little more careful.

Saskia 09-01-2009 05:23 PM

I find bits are a somewhat temporary solution. Eventually the horse seems to get used to the new bit and runs anyway. I always ride every horse I own in the same bit - I guess if it didn't work for them I would get another but even if they come with much harsher bits I find in a few weeks they are working much better with the new one. A TB I once had was a terror cross country, as he would just go and ignore me. Eventually a bought a grackle noseband, I'm not sure if its called that everywhere, but it crosses over the nose. That worked wonders, but I still used the KK training bit.

What I used to do if my horse was getting rushy was ask to slow down and steady a few times, and if they did not I would them in a fairly tight circle and for a few laps they'd usually still be strong but then they would settle a little, and I would start out again. Horses don't really like tight circles, and mine learnt after a while that if he was going to try and run of and be a d*#* then he was just going to spend hours doing circles. He was never perfect, but he was a bit of nutter.

IrishRider 09-04-2009 02:46 PM

I know a lot of people on here will tell you not to halt your horse after a jump or jump sequence but here is an answer to a similar question that was posted by Anne Kursinski, and she recommends halting. Certainly I think circling can be helpful as well but I definitely trust her opinion.

Rushing Jumps? By Anne Kursinski - a new forum for riders and product developers

MIEventer 09-04-2009 06:38 PM

If you give your horse something to lean into, he will take it 100% of the time. Especially OTTB's.

That is why you must learn to ride, SEAT into LEGS into HANDS to SOFTEN

Right now, I guarantee you are riding all hands, face first and totally leaving your seat out of the picture. You cannot do this, regardless if you are doing Dressage or Jumping.

Forget your horses face, and focus on his hind end. Forget your horses face, and focus on getting him off of his forehand. Forget his face and focus on rounding him up into your aids and establishing a rhythm - how do you do this?

Dressage, Dressage, Dressage, Dressage.

Let me tell you my experience.

When I first started riding my now OTTB Nelson - he was great out on the trails, great in the Dressage Ring, but when it came to jumping, he was super powerful, very strong and extremely forward.

I remember jumping a small CC fence with him, and by the time I got him back down and under control, we were already clear over on the other side of the CC field. Rediculous.

So, at that time, Dorothy Crowell was coming to my barn for our Local Pony Club to give a Clinic *Dorothy is a CIC**** and CCI**** Eventer, who has represented the U.S.A in the Olympics* so I signed up to ride in her clinic because I wanted and needed help with Nelson's power over fences.

She set up a grid, 3 jumps * I cannot quite recall the striding now * but the first fence was an x rail I believe, to a 3 or 4 stride, to an Oxer, to a 4 or 5 stride and to a verticle.

Nelson and I approached the first fence quiet and at a nice rhythmic pace. The moment he landed from that first fence, he took off. That 3 or 4 stride became a 2 or 3 stride and the 4 or 5 stride became a 3 or 4 stride. I remember I was standing in my irons pulling on his face.

She stopped us and pulled us aside. The first thing she told me was "you give your horse something to lean into, he'll take it" and that is exactly what Nelson did. I pulled on the reins, he said "thank you!" took it and leant into it and was gone.

She taught me Seat Into Legs Into Hands To Soften.

Your seat controls your horses hind end. You establish a rhythm with your seat. You establish impulsion with your seat - you activate that hind end with your seat.

You tense your seat - your horse becomes tense. You relax your seat, your horse relaxes. You slow your seat, your horse slows down to you. You quicken your seat, your horse quickens.

It comes from your seat. You must learn to ride on all 3 points *two seat bones, and crotch*

Remain over his center of gravity. Do not lean forward, do not lean back - remain over his center.

The moment you get what you are asking for from your seat, you activate your legs. Your legs continue that rhythm you've created through your seat, and your legs lift the horses ribs/spine up into your seat.

Your hands come into play lastly. Your outside rein must be there to allow that energy to recyle. You do not want that energy to gush out your horses front end. But they are soft, supple and must be giving at all times.

~~~

I was shown this by Dorothy and I immediately had a different horse.

She had me approach the first fence, when I was a stride away, she had me release my arms, sit and close my legs. The moment we landed I had to sit back down, slow my seat down, close my legs and put him in check. Then a stride away, I released my arms and gave him his face.

If he tried to speed up at all, I was to make him to exercises - whether it be figure 8's or serpentines or circles, I had to work on slowing my seat down, lifting his ribs and bring him back down under me.

Then we would repeat the fences.

I can now ride my TB over any course with a rubber snaffle if I chose. My horse comes down to me at all times.

~~~

Do you have a coach? You are better off having this shown to you in person, 1 on 1.

Bits wont fix anything - they mute the real problem.