The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   suggestions of starting on the right lead (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/suggestions-starting-right-lead-35116/)

drafts4ever 09-01-2009 06:15 AM

suggestions of starting on the right lead

I've been working on my horse. She has a wonderful gait, she knows how to extend her trot and is very good at following verbal commands and the slighted hand signals.
I've noticed two things though that I've been trying to work on.
going Clockwise in the trot she's very stiff in the front. I'm not sure right or left. I'm having an equine Chiropractor come out and give her an adjust me because I think she might be a little tight on that side. But has anyone had any experience with their horse being slightly uneven going one direction and ONLY on corners?
The second thing. She can't seem to get the right lead going into the canter clockwise. She trips and stops dead in her tracks.
I've tried starting her into the canter on a corner and pulling the inside rein up to help her lift into it. It's just not working? Hopefully adjusting her will help but if it's not something adjusting can help are there any suggestions of how to help her?

jack and jill 09-01-2009 07:55 AM

canter leeds

hi this is my first time on horse forum. I saw your problem and i have a similar problem with my youngster, i have found that if i do some lateral work (shoulder in, leg yealding etc) i sometimes manage to get the right leed and with lots of praise he seems to be getting better. I always pull him up as quick as i can if he takes the wrong lead and let him do a couple of circles if he gets the correct leed. I hope this will help you.

drafts4ever 09-01-2009 08:48 PM

Thank you. I was thinking today I'm going to have my boyfriend lunge her and I'll ride her and see if we can get the lead that way.

anrz 09-02-2009 07:11 PM

I agree with the lateral work idea- the horse I ride is stiff on one side, and I find that if we do- along with lateral work- lots of walking, focusing on bending and lots of geometry like 10m circles, serpentines, etc. he loosens up and is less stiff on that one side. Try to focus on having her bend around your leg.

~*~anebel~*~ 09-03-2009 12:36 AM

Ok. Your horse is stiff to one side, and "uneven" in corners and probably circles too, but only on the stiff side. And also on the same side the horse wont canter and stops dead, most likely I'm thinking from pain.
Have you ever thought to get a veterinarian out to do a flexion test or basic lameness exam? Yes horses can be one sided and unbalanced but for an otherwise obedient horse the tripping and stopping should be a huge red flag that something is wrong.
Good luck!

drafts4ever 09-04-2009 12:54 AM

I have a chiropractor working on her next week. I've only had her since the beginning of august though. For the past three days though she has been doing better than great. She goes straight into the trots and today she went more than happily into the canter without racing the corners. She gently went around them.
She can bend great up down and sideways so stretching isn't an issue. In circles she actually does better than around the entire arena. We do stretching before and after.
In the past few days though she's done way better than she was when I first got her. The chiropractor will work on her. I think she's has just been under worked she doesn't and has never thrown fits when I've asked her to do anything and her ears are always relaxed or alert, never pinned. With work and adjustments she'll be getting better every day!

drafts4ever 09-04-2009 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~*~anebel~*~ (Post 394346)
Ok. Your horse is stiff to one side, and "uneven" in corners and probably circles too, but only on the stiff side. And also on the same side the horse wont canter and stops dead, most likely I'm thinking from pain.
Have you ever thought to get a veterinarian out to do a flexion test or basic lameness exam? Yes horses can be one sided and unbalanced but for an otherwise obedient horse the tripping and stopping should be a huge red flag that something is wrong.
Good luck!

I forgot to quote you before but I just remembered something. We trimmed up her feathers and she's not tripping anymore. The trainer at the barn watched her trotting and noticed she was stepping on them and then tripping so that's fixed.
And her stopping is at the SMALLEST rein tug backwards. if I move my pinky backwards she'll slow to a walk and then a stop. She's improved though. If I adjust my hands she thought it was a que to slow down and end all work so I just click her on when I adjust my hands and she's starting to get the idea that it doesn't mean stop.

drafts4ever 09-04-2009 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jack and jill (Post 392877)
hi this is my first time on horse forum. I saw your problem and i have a similar problem with my youngster, i have found that if i do some lateral work (shoulder in, leg yealding etc) i sometimes manage to get the right leed and with lots of praise he seems to be getting better. I always pull him up as quick as i can if he takes the wrong lead and let him do a couple of circles if he gets the correct leed. I hope this will help you.

We lunged her and I rode her and she had absolutely no problem on the corners, not stopping, and picked up the right lead both directions in a canter no problem. I'm starting think that a simple adjustment will help but she was also under worked:D and had a year to be lazy before I got her so I think she needs to get into the swing of things. Today she did even better turning without have a lunge line assist in her circle so she's improving!

RideroftheWind 09-04-2009 03:36 PM

I agree with canter leeds, lateral work should really help. Also, when asking your horse to canter, try sliding your outside leg back a bit and kicking with JUST your outside leg. Hopefully that helps.

drafts4ever 09-04-2009 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RideroftheWind (Post 395506)
I agree with canter leeds, lateral work should really help. Also, when asking your horse to canter, try sliding your outside leg back a bit and kicking with JUST your outside leg. Hopefully that helps.

That's what I've been doing. She's getting a lot better. If I could find my video camera (I think someone stole it) I'd get a video of her progress. She can go counter clockwise just fine and she isn't racing around the corners anymore. She's responding to the smallest corrections great. I think the whole thing was she just needed to get back into a routine.
When I got my trainers certificate I took an extra course with tricks in helping horses that had difficulty with leads and lead changes but it didn't seem to work with her until just this week. I've only had her since the 12th. She's broke to death but she was slightly out of shape and now that she has a routine she's doing a lot better and happily does what I ask.
Going clockwise she has started picking up the right lead but slow her around the corners. She seems more distracted going clockwise.
I'm still getting her adjusted.
Someone above mentioned having a vet look her over. I forgot to add I had that done before I bought her and the first week I had her and nothing came out as a red flag. I was given the suggestion to have her adjusted which I'm having done on Thursday. She's back in shape now and she's a very good girl.