The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Bending Issues (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/bending-issues-3512/)

Taylor99 09-25-2007 03:01 PM

Bending Issues

My mare has bending issues. Walking, troting and cantering she turns her neck to the rail and rides like that. nothing i do is helping! can someone give me advice????? :cry:

~MavvyMyBeauty 09-25-2007 05:38 PM

My horse is awful for that too.

I've been doing exercises on the ground like standing beside him and bending his head round to me. At first he would walk round in circles for ages but he got the idea ad he's soft on the ground now and will bend his head round at the slightest bit of pressure. You can do that on the horse aswell but make sure to keep the pressure on until the horse is "soft" and release the second they soften and stop resisting.

Also get your horse moving over when you use your hand just behind the girth area on the ground so when you're riding her you can push her body to the outside with your inside leg and I lift up my inside hand a bit to bend his head to the inside.

I'm no expert but I hope that made some sense. :lol: Someone can probably explain it better.

Taylor99 09-27-2007 03:46 PM

Thanks so much for your advice! i'tt defintely try that with her! :D

Spirithorse 09-27-2007 07:38 PM

This sounds like a classic case of a horse's teeth not being balanced. If the teeth are not balanced, then the whole horse will not be balanced. Does your horse tend to not pick up one of the leads as well as the other?

I would HIGHLY suggest that you have one of Spencer LaFlure's certified dentists out to look at your horse. Spencer has a different approach to floating teeth, and let me tell you, no one else will ever float my horse's teeth. The changes in him, along with all of our friend's horses, have been phenominal, and immediate. I have had 2 vets tell me that they spend abolut 1 day learning how to "float" teeth. Sure, they can identify pathology, but they don't know how to fix it. And a lot of equine dentists take off too much tooth (especially if you have your horse floated twice a year) and they don't know how to properly balance the teeth. Spencer's website is www.advancedwholehorse.com If you want more info. on him, feel free to ask.

Taylor99 09-28-2007 09:36 PM

Thanks so much to everyone who posted advice for me! i am defintely getting her teeth checked!! Thanks again :lol:

Taylor99 10-01-2007 04:21 PM

Dear Spirithorse:

I can't thank you enough for letting me know about Spencer LaFure!! I contacted him and he is coming out to evaluate my mare pretty soon. Thanks again! :D

Spirithorse 10-01-2007 08:50 PM

YAY!!! :D :D You're welcome!! I'm so happy you called him! Isn't he the nicest guy? I can't tell you how happy I am that he is coming out to look at your horse!! I know you will see a difference immediately. I totally believe in his way of floating teeth.