The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumping Ahead (That's the one) - ArGGh!

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  ~MavvyMyBeauty 
#1 ·
I'm getting into a really bad habit of jumping ahead. I never used to and I know i'm doing it and it's really annoying, it's making my horse knock the poles because i'm throwing him off balance. I never used to have this problem but my friend took a picture today and i'm away up his neck and he's hardly taken off! It's awful! :(

Any tips on how to NOT jump ahead?

#2 ·
You mean jumping ahead right??
Thats what Im assuming so, I can help you!

You may be anticipating the jump. You want to sit deep and not get into half seat before the jump. Thats most likely what throws you off balance and makes you jump ahead. Let the horse jump, and jump with the horse. You need to stay with the horse, and to do so, you should go into half seat once the horse leaves the ground.

A book that would help with it, is called Centered Riding, By Sally Swift. It is a type of riding that will help you balance with your horse better.

And as for your horse knocking rails, it may or may not be because of your positon. Make sure you have ground rails directly in front of the jumps, cause without them, your horse has no depth perception.

#3 ·
Thanks for replying. :)

I did mean jumping ahead, don't know why I said overjumping. :lol:

I'll try and have a look at that book, it sounds good. I think I am anticipating the jump, i'll try and go with him more.

I think it is me making him knock the poles because I always have a good ground pole and he never normally knocks them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.