The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   65 % Friesian colt (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/65-%25-friesian-colt-351746/)

lifesabeach 01-24-2014 12:17 PM

65 % Friesian colt

Hi there friesian fans!

I recently purchased a Friesian Dutch Warm blood cross 8 month old gelded colt. Both parents are tobiano. The sire is 3/4 Friesian and the dam is half Friesian. My guy, Lil Ricky, looks very Friesian with no white at all. What a doll he is and as sweet as can be.

I am trying to do everything right and had my vet out for his boosters, worming and setting up a feed program.

We are working on ground manners, picking up feet, leading, ponying and games. He is very smart, personable and loves being handled.

I have a HUGH arena that I use to free lunge him and my 17 year old babysitter Arab gelding Muscat who sets the pace and Lil Ricky stays glued to his side. We do this once to twice a day for 15 minutes. I also have a round pen but I feel it's too tight for either horse.

my question is is it too much for my now 9 month old colt to be working him like this yet? My vet thought he moved great when I showed her what we do. I just hope I'm not doing too much.

I will post a pic as soon as I figure out how, lol
Posted via Mobile Device

Zeke 01-24-2014 12:57 PM

Can't wait for pictures!!

I would say that the workouts probably are fine if you're not pushing him to do much and it's more like play time :)
Posted via Mobile Device

lifesabeach 01-24-2014 01:01 PM

Hi

I just posted some pics of both my babies

ILoveMyThoroughbredSmokey 01-24-2014 01:11 PM

I cant see any photos? you sure you uploaded the pics on here?

lifesabeach 01-24-2014 01:23 PM

I put them up under "albums". Hopefully everyone has access to them.

TurkishVan 01-24-2014 02:19 PM

Does your colt have access to pasture? Or is he stalled? He might get all the exercise he needs by running freely in the pasture. Personally I think it's important that young horses have plenty of room to move if they want to. Unless you have another horse in there antagonizing them, often enough they won't overtax themselves.
I don't think your free lunging him is a bad thing, necessarily. It just might be unneccessary if he's already got enough leg room to move around on his own.

lifesabeach 01-25-2014 01:50 PM

Not much pasture in the high desert of Reno, NV. We do have 2 turnout areas that they run and play in and I free feed grass hay.

neither horse is stuck in a stall except to grain individualy

Kayty 01-27-2014 06:41 AM

Congratulations on your purchase, young horses are very rewarding and challenging.

Personally I would avoid making him work in a round pen. 30mins per day of running in circles is A LOT for an 8 month olds joints. It is really quite unnecessary.
You can run him out as part of some ground work, but don't make him go for more than a circle or two at a time. Circles put a lot of pressure on joints especially in a young, slow growing horse like a friesian WB.

lifesabeach 01-27-2014 11:07 AM

Hi

Thanks everyone.

I am not doing anything round pen work with him whatsoever. We mostly play in the big arena. Lots of games and I don't push him. His favorite is playing with and chasing the dog.