The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   looking for jumper (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/looking-jumper-35189/)

bloodhoundmom28 09-02-2009 10:01 AM

looking for jumper

hi i am looking for a jumper for myself and i came across this add is it me or is the kid in this picture laying on the horses neck? and at 4yrs old is what she is jumping to high? also i am 6'1 should i try and keep to a horse that is 15h+

Kid Proof Hunter/jumper

cheply 09-02-2009 12:11 PM

I would keep to 15h + for the most part... but if you really like this horse, the only way to find out if you're way too tall or not is to go see it.

At 4 years old, won't she keep growing a little?

1dog3cats17rodents 09-02-2009 12:39 PM

If you want to do jumpers, yes I think you need a taller horse. You might be in danger of hitting the poles with your feet on this mare, depending on how you are built, lol

bloodhoundmom28 09-02-2009 01:07 PM

lol that was what i was afraid of 1dog lol and i know that they will keep growing and im not in a rush i have my horse doc to play with till i find something i like. Is the style of jumping the newest way for kids to jump? (in the pic the kid is right on top of the horses neck)

bloodhoundmom28 09-02-2009 01:08 PM

also about the height of the jump for that age is it to high? i dont want to get something that has been put over to high of a jump to soon.

appylover31803 09-02-2009 05:39 PM

I think the kid is just over exaggerating and giving the horse a huge release.
I also think that at 4 years, she should just be introduced to jumps/jumping.

Depending on your build and the horse's build will tell you what size you can get. I'm 5'10 and have looked fine a very stocky 15h mare, yet looked very awkward on a 16.3 h very narrow gelding. Not to mention it depends on how you are built as well.

Saskia 09-02-2009 06:16 PM

I think that horse will be too small for you. She doesn't look like a big 15 hands. If I were you I would look at something closer to 16 hands, especially if you want a jumper.

Although its not good to jump horses too young, I don't think that they are jumping that high. I wouldn't worry about it, but get a vet check if you are worried about soundness.

I think that the horse is going to be too small for you. If you want to do jumping and still want a reasonably small horse I would look for a 15.2 or so hand Clydesdale or other heavy breed crossed with something like a TB. That way you have a strong built horse, but I wouldn't get a pony. Not only will the horse have the extra weight to jump with but also it will most likely look strange.

AMKEquestrian 09-02-2009 07:11 PM

IMO if you are honestly looking at horses in the $7500 price range and in this day and age with the economy the way it is, you can find an experienced show jumper for about the same price or less. I think you would be better off suited on a larger horse as this horse's jumping style is sloppy and flat and I don't think you will get too far with him. Yes, the kid is folding down too much over that jump and no I don't think that jump is too high for a 4 yr old. If you are considering purchasing him, find out what his training regimen is like (how many days a week is he jumped and for how long, how many days of flat work, how many days hacking? etc) and also don't forget a pre-purchase exam.

barebackcowgirl99 09-02-2009 07:18 PM

i would keep it at 15+ because the higher the horse is it should be able to jump bettter.

1dog3cats17rodents 09-02-2009 07:26 PM

^not neccesarily^

As far as height, I wouldn't worry about a taller horse being able to jump higher. I'm be more concerned about a small horse being able to jump with such a tall rider. It would be easier for a 16+ hand horse to clear jumps with a 6'1" rider