The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Feeling very let down (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/feeling-very-let-down-35192/)

Amba1027 09-02-2009 11:29 AM

Feeling very let down

I posted in a previous thread that I had emailed a farm that was looking for volunteers, to see if I could help them out with anything. What I had been looking for was some place where I could help out with barn chores and things and then maybe, after awhile, get to ride.

I had found a place that sounded good and was looking for volunteers. We exchanged emails and it turns out they were actually looking for people to ride. I wasn't sure how well this was going to work out because all of the horses are just off the track, and so they need very good riders. Since I haven't ridden in 4 years I wasn't sure if I would be in good enough shape to handle the horses. I told the owner this when I went out to the farm. She said that was fine and put me up on an older horse to see how I did and just to help me ride again. After, they offered to let me ride another horse, which I didn't do because I was a little tired (I am more out of shape than I realized).

Basically the whole time I was there I was given the impression that I would be getting to ride, which got me very excited. I went out again the other day which I feel bad about because I didn't really do anything while I was there. I didn't intend to not do anything but the one person that was there was busy showing horses to some people so I didn't know what to do. It ended up that, by the time I had done a little bit of riding, I had to leave. I think it maybe seemed like I just came out to ride and nothing else.

Now I've been told I won't be allowed to ride because I'm not skilled enough to ride the horses right now. I don't understand why I'm being told this now, days after I went out there and rode for them. If they thought I wasn't good enough shouldn't they have said something while I was there the first time? I'm worried this is because of how things went the last time I was there, that it seemed like I only came to ride and wasn't going to help out at all.

I know it's fair to say I can't ride but at the same time I feel extremely let down. I got my hopes up for this and I was so excited because they really made it seem like I was going to get to ride and now this. I told them I want to continue to help out with whatever I can, but now I feel like there's just no chance I'll ever get to ride.

Any comments or advice is appreciated. I am just really upset about this and need to talk about it.

sandy2u1 09-02-2009 12:13 PM

I think you need to go ahead and keep going out there and helping them with the chores they need doing. Give them a chance to get to know you and see that you will do the work. Once you've done that, then talk to them again about the riding. I'm sure that they have had people that do wanna just come and ride. You are going to have to give them a chance to see that you are different. Work really hard and if after a while you see that you aren't going to get to do any riding, then you can at least use them as a reference for the next barn you go to. Good Luck! I really hope you get to ride.

Amba1027 09-02-2009 10:23 PM

I am going to keep going out and helping. I emailed them back and told them I would still be helping out. It just made me so happy to ride again and when I thought I was going to be riding regularly I was so excited. I'm just crushed that I'm not going to be able to right now. It makes it difficult to be motivated to go out and do the work when I feel like this.

Amba1027 09-04-2009 11:44 PM

So now I have a dilema. I've found another barn that has a working student program. You work x number of hours in exchange for getting to ride on your own or take lessons. This barn is MUCH closer to my house and I would actually be getting to ride. The only thing is, I would feel bad about leaving the other place because I already told them I would help them out. Ideally I would continue to volunteer and work at this other barn but I just don't have the time. So what should I do?

roro 09-05-2009 01:34 AM

I would go to this new barn, the working student one. The other barn didn't seem to want you and were unprofessional, so you shouldn't feel guilty about dropping them (since they dropped you in a rather sloppy way).

sandy2u1 09-05-2009 01:41 AM

I know it's a tough decision because you want to help. But!!!!! You really want to ride and the place you just found is guaranteed riding. I think you have to go with this new place. You shouldn't feel bad about wanting to ride. After all...isn't that what every person here wants. You still get to help out where you are need and get to ride too....it's perfect for you!!!! Go for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sandy2u1 09-05-2009 01:46 AM

Oh btw...If you get accepted to this new barn...please contact the old one and tell them you will be unable to help them. I'm not suggesting that they are depending on it or anything....but just out of courtesy.

Amba1027 09-05-2009 01:21 PM

Thanks for your replies roro and sandy. I feel the same way. This other barn seems to be a better fit for me. I really do want to ride and I'm not going to get the chance with where I am now. I will definately contcat them and let them know I won't be coming out anymore if things work out with this new place.

Also, does anyone have experience with a working student program? I'm just wondering what is a good work time/riding time exchange. This place says that every 2 hours worked gets you practice riding and every 5 hours will get you a lesson. They didn't say how long the practice rides/lessons would be. It sounds fair to me but I've never delt with this before so any opinions would be great.

sandy2u1 09-05-2009 01:26 PM

I would look at it an hourly wage type deal. If you were making $6 an hour for 5 hours then that would be $30 a lesson. It sounds fair to me.

Jillyann 09-05-2009 01:27 PM

I say go for the new (working student) barn! You could learn a lot there it seems!! Hope it all works out! Let us know!