The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   HDR Advantage? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/hdr-advantage-35216/)

xxJustJumpItxx 09-02-2009 05:56 PM

HDR Advantage?

I'm in the market for a new saddle and I found this one.
UsedSaddles.com's *NEW* Website

What do y'all think? It's right in my budget. I know I don't have a huge budget, but I can probably go $100 higher, as I haven't sold my current saddle yet. If y'all think I can do better, let me know the exact brand I can get. I have looked and looked on used saddle websites, but I refuse to use eBay. It scares me :) But yeah, just comment!

If you have other suggestions, my budget is $500 & under :) THANKS!

ozarkmama 09-03-2009 02:10 PM

I don't know much about saddles but don't be scared by Ebay. I have gotten MANY great deals. Just be sure to read the seller's feedback, READ the entire auction and ask questions of the seller if you aren't sure of something.

xxJustJumpItxx 09-03-2009 04:22 PM

Yeah I guess I don't like not knowing if I "win" the saddle or not. On a used saddle website, I can know that it'll be there and I can have a trial period. I'm just more comfortable with used saddle websites, I guess :)

upnover 09-03-2009 05:57 PM

I couldn't love ebay more! Esp if you pay through paypal, they'll reimburse your money if you get scammed. I've bought 2 french made saddles through ebay and gotten them for SIGNIFICANTLY less then any other place I've found.

I think HDRs are hit and miss. I've seen some really really crappy models that put you in a terrible position, but then one day I had to jump on someone's pony and was surprised by how comfortable it was and how nicely it placed my leg. That's the only HDR that I'ved liked though and unfortunately I have no idea what model it was. :) It was one of the higher end ones though.

xxJustJumpItxx 09-03-2009 09:32 PM

Yeah, I might try eBay. I'll take a look :)

I have heard that about HDRs so I'm going to try it first to make sure I like it. But I think that the Advantage is a lower end model so I'll have to see... If I don't get the HDR, I might look at a M. Toulouse. I've heard great things about them!

sixlets 09-04-2009 01:28 PM

I got a used HDR CC Rivella last January and LOVE IT! It's the most comfortable saddle I've ever sat in! And the wide tree fits my stocky QH perfectly. I definetly recommend this brand, because every one I have seen is comfortable, and show quality.
(Just so you know, M. Toulousse are more expensive saddles.)

sixlets 09-04-2009 01:34 PM

Oh, almost forgot to mention, do NOT ger HDR stirrup leathers if this saddle is for every day use, they're about $75 and don't last that long, I've had mine for about 7 months and at my jumping length the seams are starting to tear. So I would get a cheaper leather, and maybe one pair of HDR for show?

xxJustJumpItxx 09-09-2009 04:49 PM

Are the Rivella's still pretty cheap? I know M. Toulouse's are more expensive, but I have found a couple in my budget. I'll probably be using my saddle twice a week-ish hopefully. I'm trying to find a horse to ride, but right now I'm only riding twice a month unforunately. The first thing on my list is a half-pad, but after that I'm looking for a saddle. Just wanted opinions on this one :)