The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Leg wrap confusion? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/leg-wrap-confusion-35266/)

Lucara 09-03-2009 12:38 PM

Leg wrap confusion?

Okay so, whenever I eventually end up getting a horse, I want to use leg wraps when we transport him to help prevent any unnecessary vet bills before he/she even makes it home. Now, I'm wanting to be able to use the same wraps for pleasure riding, trails, or for shows. I really don't want to end up with 15 pairs of leg wraps or boots.

What would you suggest? (I ride english if that makes a difference)

What is the difference between standing wraps and polo wraps?

jxclass19 09-03-2009 12:50 PM

Polo's are used to support & protect during riding/ working out.

Standing bandages are used for shipping or horses stalled and prone to stocking up or to help with swelling from injuries.

While polo's are applied directly to the leg, standing bandages are worn over thicker wraps such as pillow wraps, quilts or fleeces.

When poulticing or doing Furasin sweats, cotton sheeting can be used under your fleeces to keep them cleaner. Use caution with any kind of bandaging, if not done properly it can cause many problems.

Spastic_Dove 09-03-2009 12:56 PM

Are you jumping? I don't like polos for jumping. They don't offer a whole lot of support and they can come unwrapped. I like SMBs and a lot of english riders prefer the Woof boots.

Lucara 09-03-2009 01:14 PM

No jumping but I think she might be wanting to start soon. The only horse she has that can jump is currently lame. I don't think John is trained to do it yet (safely that is).

~*~anebel~*~ 09-03-2009 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucara (Post 394619)
Okay so, whenever I eventually end up getting a horse, I want to use leg wraps when we transport him to help prevent any unnecessary vet bills before he/she even makes it home. Now, I'm wanting to be able to use the same wraps for pleasure riding, trails, or for shows. I really don't want to end up with 15 pairs of leg wraps or boots.

What would you suggest? (I ride english if that makes a difference)

What is the difference between standing wraps and polo wraps?

:lol:Then you're in the wrong sport!!

Depending on what you end up doing with your horse, and his specific needs you're going to end up with a lot of stuff to protect his legs.
For trailering, I recommend shelling out the cash for a good pair of shipping boots (my horse was in a trailering accident with a set of Woof shipping boots on and had no bumps, scrapes or scratches on his legs). If he tends to stock up in the trailer or while stalled or if you are planning on trailering him more than 6-8 hours consecutively you're going to need standing bandages.
For riding, polo wraps are great for dressage and flat work. For any outdoors stuff, a very sturdy set of brushing or galloping boots are needed. For jumping in an arena, I highly recommend open fronts. And if your horse has any motion issues (overstepping, interfering) you're going to end up with boots to prevent injusry from that.
And please also keep in mind that the only english events that boots are allowed in for showing is cross country, stadium or jumpers and equitation (only over fences).
Good luck!

Lucara 09-03-2009 05:54 PM

okay I'll have to wait until I actually get the horse then for the size. I was hoping polo wraps would work all around lol.

IrishRider 09-04-2009 10:15 AM

anebel must have read my mind. No matter how hard you try you are going to end up with all sorts of fun things for your horse's legs. And soon you'll be buying them in your favorite colors, etc. :) I definitely agree with getting shipping boots for long trailer rides. I have heard really good things about Dover's boots. I never use polos but I do use pillow and standing wraps after my horse and I have a hard lesson or workout. I have a pair of open front for jumping. That horse has more accessories than I do.

Tophandcowgirl 09-05-2009 06:16 PM

I dont' think you can only have one type of boots.

I currently have:

four pillow wraps (sized for fronts and backs)
4 standing bandages
4 sheet cotton padding wraps
4 track wraps (similair to polos, although I prefer these)
Full set of 4 SMB-3's
Two sets of prof. choice no-turn bell boots (4 total)
One set Basic splint boots
One set Skid boots

Keep in mind I ride western though, all the events I do require a lot of leg protection because they are high-impact. (Reining, gymkhana, drill team).

For a flat english horse only though, I would get a set of shipping boots (I don't have these, but use the pillows and standing bandages instead-shipping boots will be easier to handle though for a first-time horse owner) if you plan on traveling often to shows, etc. I would also get some bell boots (if you plan on jumping, or if your horse is prone to over-reaching), and some type of SMB's (Prof. Choice are top-notch and last a long time with good care). SMB's provide the same protection as splints, skids (sort of), and open-front boots. However, I know jumping people do prefer open-front boots so their horses can feel when they hit the bar).

Hope this helped!