The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   How much does your farrier make? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/how-much-does-your-farrier-make-3528/)

MtnHermit 09-26-2007 10:42 AM

How much does your farrier make?

How much does your farrier make per hour?

KANSAS_TWISTER 09-26-2007 02:05 PM

we have one in the area and I CHOOSE not to use him, (tough and abusive) , i trim them myself or if needed they can be loaded up and driven to a farrier 40 miles away

Vidaloco 09-26-2007 07:10 PM

Our farrier charges $30 a horse for a trim no shoes. We couldnt find anyone to come out when we only had one horse and the one that did finally come charged extra for the trip. I think most farriers are worth their weight in gold. When you get a good one better hang on to him/her.

Mz.Packman 10-23-2007 10:03 PM

Mine is a personal friend and does a terrific job. He has to driva a long way, so has to chrage a lot, but he's done wonders for Texas' crazy feet. But, we both agree that I have to get someone else so he doesn't drive so far and I don't dig so far into my pocket! I'm thinking about trying out a guy from Salem (nearest town) who will drive the 30 minutes to get here. The man that gave my first horse to me says he's really good. He would probably charge $45 to come here and do it.

toosexy4myspotz 10-24-2007 10:01 PM

Right now I pay $150 for shoes on front and back. His shoes on the front are hot shod and his hind feet are just nailed on. He has heals on his shoes to keep his feet up and requires about 60-80 minutes to his feet because of the damage done to them in the past.

ponypile 11-07-2007 04:10 PM

The good farrier here charges $20 for a trim, and $85 for trim and 4 shoes. Price goes up if the horse has any special needs or kinds of shoes, or if the horse is bad, or if there isn't a handler for the horse if it's bad. I'm happy because I'm riding one of his horses now (a fat appy, they want me to train it to go english and jump :P ), so I have no farrier bill now! woohoo! :wink:

drop_your_reins 11-07-2007 08:20 PM

hmm I think he charges $20-$30 for a trim (I have to check).. and maybe $80 for two front shoes with rolled toes (less without the rolled toes.)

For padded show shoes (saddleseat) he charges $180 (maybe a little more)..

jazzyrider 11-09-2007 06:58 AM

my farrier charges $70 for four shoes and $30 for a trim

i just used that calculator thingy and it says he earns $35 an hour. thats not that much really. kinda gunna stop me whinging about the cost of farriers lol

HrsGrl323 12-13-2007 12:12 AM

We got someone to come out to trim but she wanted them to stand perfictly still which wasn't going to happen because they never had there feet trimmed before. She got my yearlings fronts trimmed but wouldn't attempt the back feet. After that we called out someone else who was great he charged 20-30 for looking at the yearlings fronts trimming her backs and doing my 9yr olds. He was great my yearling kicked and did everyting she could to prevent him from having her feet but he just held on tight and made her deal with it.

PaintsAqha 12-14-2007 12:37 AM

Can I say I LOVE MY FARRIER!!!!! :lol: :lol:
He is great I had to go through a few. The typical long toe short heel stuff. They are almost grown out I had some separation because the toes were so long.
Man they should know better. The one guy was training under a friend of my farrier who he says is great and if we have an emergency to call him because he lives down the street from me.

Again can I say I love my farrier!!!!!!!