The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Other Pets (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/)
-   -   Animals just know...... (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/animals-just-know-35303/)

themacpack 09-03-2009 11:01 PM

Animals just know......

We have a cat, a stray, that has been hanging about our place for about a month or so. He is very uncomfortable around people. We have been working on building trust and had gotten to the point where he'd be within two or three feet of us and not run away, but that was the closest he would go and any attempt to touch him was grounds for the dirtiest of looks and a good view of his backside beating a hasty retreat.
Today has been a bad day for me. It's the anniversary of my dad's passing and was just an all around crappy day on top of that. I had a go-round with my husband (he forgot what today's significance is for me and, as a result, used a very poor choice of words) over the phone and came home just feeling defeated all around. After I got dinner on the table for the kids, I went out and sat on the back porch. My eyes were closed and I didn't hear a thing - but next thing I know I feel something land in my lap. It was Flopsy, the cat. He just stood there and looked at me, then turned around, curled up and lay down on my lap. I had my cry and, when I was done, he jumped down and walked off. I would bet my next paycheck that if I walked outside right now and tried to touch him I wouldn't get within five feet of him, but he knew that I needed a friend in that moment.

hollybee 09-09-2009 06:38 AM

it's funny how they know isn't it ?
did it make you feel loads better when he curled up on you ?

kandice 09-09-2009 11:17 PM

aww it is amazing how they know. I just lost my husband a few months ago, and I have several dogs and cats.. and I still have my daily meltdowns, but I have one particular dog, one that's been with me for almost 7 years that will come to me when I need him the most and lick my tears away. Other times when I know I'm okay, but just had a memory or something, he knows I'm fine.. he's just there when I need him the most. That means the world to me. They have a wonderful way of comforting you when you need them.

Brighteyes 09-09-2009 11:35 PM

There are a lot of old tales that float around the South of angels taking the form of animals when someone needed them. Sometimes, people are too complicated and have too much else to think of to help you out, and animals, being creatures that few people dislike or hold secrets from, are better therapists. You can talk to them, cry, rant, or whatever and they will never let you to suck it up and forgot it. Gotta love that sometimes. :-)