The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Driving (http://www.horseforum.com/driving/)
-   -   Desensitizing training & tips (http://www.horseforum.com/driving/desensitizing-training-tips-353586/)

littrella 01-27-2014 11:36 AM

Desensitizing training & tips

2 Attachment(s)
For me, desensitizing training is very inprotant for my animals. I want them to be as "spook proof" as possible. I got a little creative on the flag desensitizing with Danee last spring. Recently, I got creative with old baling twine & pvc pipe. Dont worry all the strings are cut so there's no loups to get hung up on! What are some creative ideas everyone has done to "de-spook" their driving animals?

amberly 01-27-2014 11:56 AM

We actually have a horse who can drive, but since we have gotten him we haven't had a place to drive him.
When we tried him out before we bought him he did okay. The only thing I saw that could be worked on was that he couldn't see aournd him, so he was much more jumpy and nervous - so we will work on that. Just having it on him more often and such.

Gmac 01-27-2014 12:58 PM

Foil balloons on the hay ring.
Wind chimes hanging around the the water.
Tarps over, under, beside, the horse. Also have them walk over it.

nitapitalou 01-27-2014 12:59 PM

I have been working on desensitizing my filly to flapping things. I tied a flag to the end of a flexible rod. My biggest issue when I get it near her face is keeping her from eating it. LOL I think desensitizing is so important especially if you are going to be on the road at all. You never know what is going to come flying at you!

Zexious 01-27-2014 02:18 PM

Danee is absolutely adorable. I love the flag contraption.

I second waving around blankets. I learned the hard way that my gelding is terrified of them. Especially pink ones...

Left Hand Percherons 01-27-2014 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zexious (Post 4626242)
Danee is absolutely adorable.

Forget Danee, I'm in love with that grass.

Zexious 01-27-2014 03:14 PM

^Haha, yeah! We don't get grass like that here do we, Left?

nitapitalou 01-27-2014 03:48 PM

That grass does look wonderful! I am praying for some rain sometime soon! We haven't had any where we are at. Which is pretty unusual for us. It was really dry last year too. I have a feeling I will be buying hay from out of state unless we get some.

littrella 02-02-2014 08:26 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Walking across crinkley, noise making surface, CHECK!! Poor Molly kept looking at me like "Mom, why do you keep doing this stuff to us!!!"