The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   New to Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/new-horses/)
-   -   got a trainer -- and lots of "homework" (http://www.horseforum.com/new-horses/got-trainer-lots-homework-353706/)

jmike 01-27-2014 01:20 PM

got a trainer -- and lots of "homework"

finally got a trainer, just had our 3rd session .. we do lessons every other week -- so i do homework on the weeks in between

she's been giving my kids weekly lessons for just about 10 weeks -- she's awesome

and oww ... so sore .. finally figured just how old, fat, and out of shape i really am.

also figured out that my daughters horse is actually pretty well trained, but also smart and lazy (she's been getting over on us since we got her, because we were stupid and inexperienced)

lessons 1 was mostly sitting on the back of her old horse and having him walk around while me and her chit chatted --- easy enough -- thought it was a little slow so i talked her into giving me my lessons at my house with my daughters horse

--- home-work was to work on my balance

lesson 2 -- lots of trotting -- learned how to suck myself down into the saddle to stop, whoah means "stop on a dime and give me change", if i don't get my change - back up to collect it, don't let her run towards the house until she is over being buddy sour, keep my hands in front of the saddle, gripping with my thighs gives me a little better balance,

--- home-work was, work on my balance, work on stopping, work on trotting with balance, work on keeping my hands in front of the saddle, get some spurs

lesson 3 -- how to give leg cues, lots of trotting, how to recognize bad behaviour while backing up, lots and lots of trotting, use thighs to maintain balance

--- home-work was, work on steering, work on leg cues at a walk, work on leg cues at a trot, work on balance

inner thighs are killing me, butt muscles are sore, lower-middle-back is sore, and calves are sore

... good times

ecasey 01-27-2014 04:58 PM

Congrats!! Yeah, there's nothing like riding a horse to show you how out of shape you are. :)

dlady 01-27-2014 05:33 PM

Congrats. Isn't it great getting homework and having a horse to do it on. It's so nice to have a trainer to come to you to work with your horse.

LOL I understand about being out of shape. I just aquired a 3 1/2 year old standardbred gelding that I know is going to make me use muscles that never gets sore with my other 2 horses.

She wasn't getting over on you because you were stupid, just inexperienced. You got a trainer, so you're a lot smarter than you thought you were.

Good luck with her and your lessons.

Skyseternalangel 01-27-2014 07:11 PM

Haha nice! Lots of homework is great, because you will really improve in each lesson thereafter!

I always get fuuuuun homework after my lessons... homework that makes me huff and puff moreso than my horse does!

Wild Heart 01-27-2014 08:04 PM

Keep working on it and doing your homework! Sounds like you are heading in the right direction. :)

When I took up riding again last fall I was absolutely amazed at how out of shape I was.

tinyliny 01-27-2014 08:17 PM

How fun! The only thing that's kind of odd, is that she would give a newbie spurs. Most new riders don't have enough leg control to accurately use spurs.

jmike 01-28-2014 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel (Post 4629074)
Haha nice! Lots of homework is great, because you will really improve in each lesson thereafter!

I always get fuuuuun homework after my lessons... homework that makes me huff and puff moreso than my horse does!

dixie is definitely out of shape -- lesson 2 she was huffing and puffing more than i was -- and i'm a smoker (in progress of quitting)

jmike 01-28-2014 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyliny (Post 4629618)
How fun! The only thing that's kind of odd, is that she would give a newbie spurs. Most new riders don't have enough leg control to accurately use spurs.

dixie was being lazy and not responding when kicking with just my boot heels.

she suggested bumper spurs, but i didn't see any for adults. i got what i thought would be pretty mild ones

i have enough leg control to be able to bump her with the sides of my boots, or the heels/spurs --- most of the time it is just squeezing with my thighs to indicate direction, or calves to either indicate direction or help suck myself down into the seat.

only time i use the spurs is when she won't go when i give her the cues, or when i use the reins to turn her and she continues to run sideways towards the trees/bushes -- then i press and hold the spur against her side until she moves off of it -- if she doesn't move off of it, then i start bumping it

luckily i have never had to really kick her with them -- just some light bumping and pressing

https://d21w1ago704mi4.cloudfront.net/full/s-17994.jpg

Zexious 01-28-2014 10:08 AM

Congrats on the new lessons and getting into shape. I really enjoy when trainers give me "homework" and something to focus on.

jmike 01-28-2014 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zexious (Post 4632322)
Congrats on the new lessons and getting into shape. I really enjoy when trainers give me "homework" and something to focus on.

i also love the homework.

i think she is great, and really appreciate the fact that she encourages me to master the basics while encouraging me to get acquianted with imtermediate things