The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   When to replace your helmet? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/when-replace-your-helmet-35422/)

Amba1027 09-05-2009 06:46 PM

When to replace your helmet?

I have had the same helmet basically since I first started riding (which is really pretty suprising since that means my head hasn't really grown since I was 10). Anyway I've read things that say you should replace your helmet after a fall, or every couple of years... My helmet still seems to be in good shape but they say it can look fine on the outside but still won't protect as well if it's been through a fall...? Anyway I figure after 10 years its time for a new helmet. What do you all think?

rodeogirl309 09-05-2009 08:35 PM

Hehe, I've had mine 8 years. Each helmet has an expiration date on the inside tag. Mine is 2001, and has been in numerous minor accidents. I really need a new one. But, I did just buy a show helmet, but that's only for shows.

Yes, it is true. The saying that even if it looks ok on the outside, the inside could easily be damaged. A lady who owns a local tack shop gave a helmet clinic at our fairgrounds a few months back. She had a helmet that was cut in half. The outside looked fine, but once you saw the foam on the inside, it was clearly damaged.

I can't imagine what my helmet looks like inside. I emailed the maker of the helmet (to see if I could get a discount on a new one) and they basically scolded me about my helmet. They said "destroy that helmet and buy a new one."

So, yes. It's time for you and I both to purchase new helmets :)

1dog3cats17rodents 09-05-2009 08:40 PM

If you have fallen a few times, then yes it's time to get a new one.

For me, I just get a new one when I out grow my old one. I don't fall much, so I don't have to worry about it. My mom just got a new one after falling and getting a concussion.

Amba1027 09-05-2009 09:55 PM

That's what I figured. I didn't know they have expiration dates. I'll have to check mine just out of curiosity. I don't fall much either but after 10 years I'm sure they've added up. I'm sure the inside of mine looks awful too. Well now that I'm sure it's necessary hopefully I can convince my mom to pay for a new one since I have no money.

JustDressageIt 09-06-2009 12:11 PM

Actually the safety of the helmet is compromised if you wear it more than a few years. The material on the inside of the helmet (the stuff that absorbs shock so your skull doesn't) starts to decompose and compress. This makes the material less effective for protecting your noggin.
There are some pretty economically priced helmets that are both safe and stylish out on the market right now :)

Jillyann 09-06-2009 12:27 PM

Ive had my helmet for about 5 years, and have had 2 good falls with it on....maybe I need a new one too.

JustDressageIt 09-06-2009 12:30 PM

Whenever you fall, the material in your helmet is compressed a bit, maybe even cracked. Each compression and each crack makes the helmet's defences weaker. The less impact the helmet can take, the more your skull does.

ridingismylife2 09-06-2009 03:47 PM

I REALLY need a new one, but have no money at all. Thankfully I haven't fallen off for a long time.
Mine is about 10 years old :O
It's a good helmet though. :)

eventerdrew 09-06-2009 04:05 PM

I replace mine every few years or after each major fall. Usually the major fall comes first >.<

JustDressageIt 09-06-2009 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ridingismylife2 (Post 397027)
I REALLY need a new one, but have no money at all. Thankfully I haven't fallen off for a long time.
Mine is about 10 years old :O
It's a good helmet though. :)

Please save your pennies to buy a new one ... at 10 years old, the helmet's material really isn't suited to protecting your head much at all anymore :)