The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   QH bloodlines vs temperment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/qh-bloodlines-vs-temperment-354386/)

jmike 01-28-2014 02:10 PM

QH bloodlines vs temperment

i have heard recently that certain bloodlines can tend toward certain temperments -- possibly smart chic olena's tending more towards being cold backed and hot

is there a good resource to check the temperment of certain bloodlines?

.Delete. 01-28-2014 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmike (Post 4634442)
i have heard recently that certain bloodlines can tend toward certain temperments -- possibly smart chic olena's tending more towards being cold backed and hot

is there a good resource to check the temperment of certain bloodlines?

The best thing you can do is research. There is no specific reference to find what studs/dams provide the best possible temperament. Trends start to emerge with babies and word gets spread around.

What bloodlines are you specifically interested in? Perhaps we can give you some insight.

jmike 01-28-2014 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by .Delete. (Post 4634642)
The best thing you can do is research. There is no specific reference to find what studs/dams provide the best possible temperament. Trends start to emerge with babies and word gets spread around.

What bloodlines are you specifically interested in? Perhaps we can give you some insight.

Horse Pedigree Database | DWM NO FOOLIN AROUND | Quarter Horse | American Quarter Horse Association

smart little lena and doc's hickory

jmike 01-28-2014 02:56 PM

i think these are the preffered links

Stud:
Smart Asa Lynx Quarter Horse

Mare:
Gk Cuttin Cat Quarter Horse

NorthernHorse 01-28-2014 03:07 PM

Ive always had great minded horses with Docs Hickory and Doc bar in them, Ive never personally dealt with a smart chic olena bred horse, but a friend of mine has a grand daughter of his and says shes quite smart but she has to think about things before doing them and is more on the side of cautious, but otherwise a pleasant mare to be around.

But every horse is an individual, and could turn out any way regardless of bloodlines.

On a side note however every Frenchman's guy bred horse I'm come across has been hot and has some buck in them and are a bit hard headed. I don't know if that was sheer coincidence or if that's a trait in the bloodline, who knows.

jmike 01-28-2014 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorthernHorse (Post 4634850)
Ive always had great minded horses with Docs Hickory and Doc bar in them, Ive never personally dealt with a smart chic olena bred horse, but a friend of mine has a grand daughter of his and says shes quite smart but she has to think about things before doing them and is more on the side of cautious, but otherwise a pleasant mare to be around.

But every horse is an individual, and could turn out any way regardless of bloodlines.

thanks -- i appreciate the insight

my trainers daughter has a smart chic oleana and says those are mostly cold-backed and hot

BlueSpark 01-28-2014 03:22 PM

I'm riding a mare with doc olena breeding. Amazing horse, but hot and sensitive.

I have worked with several horses that had doc bar up close, and they were absolutely nuts, but that might have been coincidence. hot and crazy, and man could they buck.

jmike 01-28-2014 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueSpark (Post 4635026)
I'm riding a mare with doc olena breeding. Amazing horse, but hot and sensitive.

I have worked with several horses that had doc bar up close, and they were absolutely nuts, but that might have been coincidence. hot and crazy, and man could they buck.

precisely what i am worried about

may be too much horse for me

QHDragon 01-28-2014 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueSpark (Post 4635026)

Funny, just this week I was having a conversation with a friend about Doc Bar and how they are pretty hot.

I have yet to meet an Impressive bred horse that wasn't a total sweetheart, but was a little dense when it came to the actual training.

smrobs 01-28-2014 04:05 PM

I've dealt with my fair share of Doc Olena bred horses. Up until just a few years ago, a local breeder had a son of Doc Olena that he'd throw out a crop of foals from every year. There were a lot of those horses that never even got broke because nobody had the courage to get on them. Many of them were very sensitive and tended toward over-reaction, especially during the training phase. If you ever got one broke enough you could trust him, then you'd have a stellar horse...but getting them to that point wasn't for the faint of heart.

However, I've got a son of that stud in my pasture that is completely bombproof and 100% trustworthy. My niece started riding him when she was 6 and he was 5 and he's never taken a wrong step with her or any other beginner/child you put on him.

As for the Docs Lynx, I've ridden several of them as well and the ones I handled were really sweet. They were sensitive, but not a mean bone in their body anywhere.

As far as I'm concerned, you can get an idea about a horse by looking at the bloodlines, but temperament doesn't always breed true. If the horse is broke, then go look at them and just see what you think.

Though, if it's not broke, I wouldn't advise a green horse with those bloodlines for anyone less than an expert rider....just to be on the safe side.