The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Fly sheets? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/fly-sheets-35498/)

Lucara 09-07-2009 12:19 AM

Fly sheets?

Okay so I've kind of had a curiosity question. My instructors horse always get an allergic reaction to those noseeum bugs? Its only on the front of her chest. Fly spray and anti-histamine don't seem to do much of anything.
Since a fly sheet would cover over her chest, would that plus the flyspray help her chest from breaking out so badly?
Would the fly sheet rub, causing more issues than solutions?
Can they over heat in the fly sheets?

Lucara 09-07-2009 07:18 PM

No one knows anything about fly sheets?

murrayhallbuccaneer 09-07-2009 08:57 PM

im sure if the fly sheet is the correct size for said horse, then it shouldnt rub, Fly sheets are designed for warmer weather when flies are out so are good for the warmer days, and you probably wouldnt need to use fly spray, since the sheet is there to stop the bugs! but by all means if you want to use it, Go for it!! its always good to have all protection you can =], i hear garlic is good for keeping flies away too, but in their feeds not around their necks ;)

Lucara 09-08-2009 11:26 AM

Anyone else have any thoughts or opinions on fly sheets?

jxclass19 09-08-2009 11:31 AM

Basic H works to keep the little nasties away to. It is a Shackey product.

mls 09-08-2009 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jxclass19 (Post 398369)
Basic H works to keep the little nasties away to. It is a Shackey product.

Actually it's a Shaklee product Get Clean: Basic H2 Organic Super Cleaning Concentrate

As far as fly sheets - The horse will not over heat. They are designed to assist the horse with their instinctive skin movement that 'shakes' the pests off.

IrishRider 09-08-2009 05:30 PM

If the sheet fits correctly it shouldn't rub but sometimes there is a small amount of rubbing anyway, no matter how well it fits. I would suggest looking into a Baker fly sheet. They are really well made and a little tougher than cheaper fly sheets.

I think you can also give allergy shots to some horses that are plagued by allergies.

Appyt 09-08-2009 06:57 PM

Can't say if the chest area would be irritated by the sheet. If there are already bites then it's likely. The sheets are made of netting so they are porous. They also snag fairly easily. I have one Saxon fly sheet that has only the one surcingle. It sucks as it wants to ride back to far. I do think it's a tad too large but geeze.