The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   I Can't Wait! (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/i-cant-wait-35543/)

HorseOfCourse 09-07-2009 05:43 PM

I Can't Wait!

So, my birthday is September 20, and my best friend told me what she got me for my birthday.

It's a group English Lesson with her at her trainer's barn.

Nephin Begs Farm - Home

The horse I'm riding is named Flicka, and I've never met her but I was told she is very tall, and is the main lesson horse, so I'm guessing on the home page of that website she is the tall black one.

But I need tips on what to do because I've never formally ridden English, just by myself on a horse that doesn't know anything about it, and trying out the things I know [or think I know]

I need to know what I should do, and watch for. I believe we might do a little bit of jumping, and while I have jumped before, it was only one time, and it was only for about 10 minutes.

Also, I need some awesome birthday present ideas for her ebcause her birthday is October 22 and I have to top her present [english lessons are something that I've wanted to try for a while, and she also gave me her old english bridle since I don't have one] I've been thinking of maybe trying to buy a halter and then embellish it for her with rhinestones, beads, jewels, etc. Her horse's name is Blue and she's a very loudly colored 20 year old blue roan quarter horse.

HorseOfCourse 09-08-2009 07:25 PM

Anybody?..

Wallaby 09-08-2009 09:24 PM

I don't have any tips but my birthday is September 20 as well! =D Yay! Have fun with your lesson, it sounds like you'll have tons of fun. =)

anrz 09-08-2009 09:31 PM

If you've ridden western before, keep in mind that English will be very different :). You don't want your stirrups too long, especially for jumping (if you jump). A good length for general flatwork is so that the bottom of the stirrup iron hits your ankle bone when you are mounted and have your feet out of the stirrups.
Remember to keep your heels down, and make sure that your leg doesn't slide too far out in front of you. Also, sit tall and look up!
I personally wouldn't jump if you are new to English riding, but it's the instructor's call. He/she should be able to decide whether or not you are ready. Tell us how it goes!

HorseOfCourse 09-09-2009 05:57 PM

Will do!
And I've been riding western for the whole time I've ridden, and I'm looking for something new.

Nita 09-09-2009 08:34 PM

yay! Congrats! that's what my mom got me for my birthday, and I had my first lesson yesterday....... It was so fun! I hope yours is just as awesome!

HorseOfCourse 09-10-2009 06:28 PM

Just an update: My friend that was riding with me is sick, so she won't be riding with me, but she will be going still :]