The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Who is your favorite trainer? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/who-your-favorite-trainer-35545/)

secretmolly 09-07-2009 06:02 PM

Who is your favorite trainer?

Who's method do you use or prefer? Who would be better for a person that doesn't have a round pen? I like several of them, but it seems like most of them use a round pen... and I would rather go ahead and buy a few more horses than give that much money for a few gates, if they aren't a necessity!

Spirithorse 09-07-2009 06:04 PM

Parelli :)

Marecare 09-07-2009 06:23 PM

Al Dunning,Ray Hunt,Tom and Bill Dorrance,Mark Rashid,Bob Avila,Curt Pate,Bob Loomis,Wil Howe,Lyn Anderson,Stacy Westfall,Jack Brainard, Ted Robinson,and Bobby Ingersoll are my favorites.

They are all great and they are many more!

There is a lot of good information out there.

RiosDad 09-07-2009 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marecare (Post 397890)
Al Dunning,

I agree.

shesinthebarn 09-07-2009 10:04 PM

Al Dunning, Ray Hunt, Dorrance brothers, Bob Avila, and Loomis. Awesome trainers! You can't go wrong with any of these guys.

RubaiyateBandit 09-07-2009 10:26 PM

Terry Tietjen. ;p
He's a local trainer, but that's not much help, I'm sure.

But, seriously, with a little creativity, you can do just about anything without a round pen. Just pick a trainer you like, and look at what (s)he's doing with the round pen. Then, do some brainstorming. If the round pen is being used as a point of reference, lay out some long rope or hose and use it as your 'round pen'. If they're just using a portion of the pen as a barrier (for, say, sidepassing), use a portion of your existing fence, or the broad side of a barn, etc.
I have a round pen, but it's really small. One thing I ended up doing for Bandit and Dante was, I got some plastic barrels from where my dad works, drilled some holes through them, and ran electric wire (without electricity!) through the holes, making a temporary fence that (if I remove the wires) doubled as a barrel racing set up. It also teaches the horse to respect barriers better -- at first, Dante always tried to duck under the wire, but then I taught him that it was harder work to be outside that pen, and he never ducked it again (he usually doesn't duck the actual electric fence anymore, either!)

kevinshorses 09-08-2009 12:30 AM

I like Ray Hunt and Tom Dorrance for the Why and Buck Brannaman and Dennis Reis for the How. Tom didn't do much how -to stuff but he has a book called True Unity that every horse owner should be required to read.

lsucajun8 09-08-2009 12:56 AM

I like many but I am a big Clinton Anderson fan, I like Al Dunning also.

Rod 09-08-2009 12:30 PM

I think almost all of the nationally known trainers/clinicians have something of value for us who train our own horses.
Coming from a ranching background and showing Reined Cow Horses, I appreciate those trainers that have some real world experience making a living working with horses.
I had the honor of attending a Ray Hunt clinic last year, one of his last. He was great.
I met Tom Dorrance at the 1995 NRCHA Snaffle Bit Futurity. One of the highlights of my horse experiences.
I attended two Curt Pate clinics. I really liked them. They were about 3 years apart. It was very interesting to see the progression he made as a clinician in those three years.
Lyn Anderson is as good a hand with a horse as there is. A friend and I took Lyn out to lunch during her clinic and he spilled his drink in her lap. She was gracious and unflustered- took it in stride and went about the clinic as if nothing happened.
Ted Robinson- 6 time NRCHA Snaffle Bit Futurity Champion!! If you can't learn something from him you are unteachable. Two years after I took his clinic we both showed horses at the Idaho Snaffle Bit Futurity. While standing at the urinal in the restroom of all places, he remembered my name and gave a constructive critique of my rein work. Amazing memory and a personable guy.
A few years ago (actually more years than I'd like to remember), I showed in a cow horse show with Martin Black and Blue Duck. I was so impressed with the pair that I bred a couple of mares to Blue Duck's unproven full brother (Blue Duck was a gelding). Martin was just another trainer. It was several years later when I put it all together. Martin was the Martin Black, nationally known clinician. I have some of his videos. I guess I like them because we are from a similar background and share similar philosophies about working with horses.

Rod

TJ Horselady 09-08-2009 12:32 PM

Hi Secretmolly

Seems you are getting lots of input here, great!
You can learn from nearly any/every horsemen/horsewoman you come across.
Much advice can help and just toss what can't. Not everything works for all situations be it Equine or Equestrian.
You can find info. Local - Regional - Internationally.
Loads of horse people out there willing to share their experience and knowledge.

One tip I wish to give you is:
Round pens can be good and bad.
Lunge lines work well too or even a square pen/arena/corral.
I use to give lesson in training to peeps out in open with their horses.
Anyways round pens can cause a horse to lean where as square/rectangle pens/arenas and such make them work the corners and bend and flex better.
And if a horse seems sour to the round pen, its been round penned to death and/or one instance I saw the horse suffered coffin bone injury.

Wishing you luck in all you learn and as you learn while experiencing and trying different methods! ps. go with your gut instinct too!!!!
Hugs, TJ