The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Eventing (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/)
-   -   Main things you look for in an eventer? (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/main-things-you-look-eventer-355650/)

disastercupcake 01-30-2014 07:33 PM

Main things you look for in an eventer?

Hi all,

I'm entirely new to this discipline, but I would really love to give it a solid go in a few years! That said, I need a horse that can do it lol

I've been browsing the off-track sites for a bit, and nothing really caught my eye at all until today. What do you think of this guy? Something about the way he walks makes me think he may not be entirely sound.. but he is a Standardbred, could just be his way of going. What are generally better for eventing? TB or SB?

Strike Force | New Vocations

Corazon Lock 01-30-2014 07:49 PM

He almost looks like he wants to jig. His trot looks funny too, but I think this is because SBs are taught to - I think it's called this - pace instead. So you would have to work on the trot.

TBs are the ultimate eventing horse because of their athleticism and lung capacity. That being said, there's no reason why you couldn't event with a SB. You can event with practically any horse that jumps to a certain point.

I would look for something that has some self-control and seems brave, not a pansy lol. Look for nice, clean legs - conformation is very important. And also, don't forget a PPE!

disastercupcake 01-30-2014 11:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
What do you think of this horse? Could he ever make an eventer?

My thoughts are that his hindquarters are not powerful enough for jumping, and possibly not enough wind to sustain the whole course? Just not sure how a draft cross would handle something like that. All in the future, of course, when he is much more conditioned ;P

picup436 01-30-2014 11:48 PM

There are 3 main things I look for in an eventing prospect. Soundness, bravery and a level temperament.

There is no point having an amazing TB that can jump the moon if it can keep all 4 legs on the floor in the dressage arena.

SB's aren't known for their jumping ability, and the quality of canter is quite often a problem. A horse won't jump well consistently if it doesn't have a good canter. There ARE exceptions to this of course, but I've seen maybe 2 or 3 in my lifetime that have a good canter and can jump.

It really depends on what level you want to compete at, I've not seen many horses that can't get around the low level stuff, I have taken my very traditional baroque style Friesian out eventing in the past and he made it round, just lol!