The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Flying Lead Changes (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/flying-lead-changes-35592/)

Ne0n Zero 09-08-2009 12:47 PM

Flying Lead Changes

Gonna keep this short and simple.
..How and when? x)

I've been told many times how to "ask" for a flying lead change, but alas, none of the horses I rode at the time were at a level which they could carry one out.

My horse.. is getting much more balanced at the canter, thanks I'm sure to endless trot work and millions of transitions.

When would you advise introducing flying lead changes, and how would you begin introducing them?

**I don't want to introduce them just yet as we're still working on him getting "on the bit" - he likes to throw his nose in the sky and hollow out still sometimes, - and rounding through his back.

RiosDad 09-08-2009 02:21 PM

I don't attempt teaching flying changes until the horse is solid on his leads. He must know his left and right and pick them up quickly and mistake free. Then I teach flying changes.

Ne0n Zero 09-08-2009 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiosDad (Post 398464)
I don't attempt teaching flying changes until the horse is solid on his leads. He must know his left and right and pick them up quickly and mistake free. Then I teach flying changes.

He gets his leads almost perfectly every time.

RiosDad 09-08-2009 03:00 PM

This is how I do flying changes. Again this is how I do it.
Changes come from the hind end, not the front. I do NOT use turning as a way to make the horse change but it can help.
To take say the left lead I move my right leg totally off the horse, push his hind end over with the right leg and squeeze him to the left with the right leg. He knows his leads so he breaks on his left lead.
For the flying change I pick up the rythem of the lope applying my right leg to hold the lead and while feeling the rythem from sitting well down in the saddle when I feel the horse rise in the air I flick my butt to the left and switch the aid, the right leg to the left leg pushing the butt to the right while in the air. You can feel this rythem and a then push with the left leg switching him to the right lead.
The hind end is the place to make the switch, not the front.