The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Really thin TB (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/really-thin-tb-35601/)

MTcowgirl 09-08-2009 12:23 PM

Really thin TB

My TB gelding Vaguer that I owned several years ago is back with me now but I was absolutely irate when I saw how thin he is. And how bad he looks. The lady that had him even tried telling me that he doesn't grow a good winter coat?!?!?! Well when I had him he always looked like a big ol' grizzly with all that extra hair! Of course he's not going to grow a good coat if you don't feed him enough you ******! Oh yes I was mad, he is such a sweet boy just like a big puppy dog. I can feel every rib, there's not fat on top of them and I can feel ever vertebra in his back! *breathing*

Here are pics:

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n...0/DSCF0758.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n...0/DSCF0759.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n...0/DSCF0761.jpg
He actually looks worse in person if you can believe it.

Ok so first things first, deworming (who knows if she EVER even did it!).
But I am worried because winter is closing in way to quickly and it's gonna be a cold one up here in Montana. He needs a lot of meat on his bones before the snow hits!

So what is the best thing to feed him to help him gain weight so he can be fat and happy for winter? I have been told beet pulp and/or senior feed would be the best thing?

Thank you!

themacpack 09-08-2009 12:32 PM

In addition to the worming, have you had the vet out for a complete check and float? If he has been this neglected, it is doubtful his teeth have been cared for any better and bad teeth will hinder weight gain.
I had great luck with our TB using free choice hay and then twice daily feeding of 2 lbs alf. pellets, 2 lbs beet pulp and a dressing of rice bran. Keep good hay in front of his face 24/7.
Unfortunately, weight can be very slow to go back on a horse.

MTcowgirl 09-08-2009 12:35 PM

He's on good pasture right now. Should I still give him hay?

dee 09-08-2009 02:01 PM

Even on pasture, hay should be offered when trying to put weight on the horse. I don't know exactly why it works better than green grass, but it does. Our farrier recommended it. The daughter was feeding her emaciated mare sweet feed until I learned of the beet pulp thing. Now we feed all of our horses a mixture of beet pulp and alfalfa pellets (tried the cubes, but they wouldn't eat them as well). I would add the rice bran, but it's a special order item around here (feed store clerk had never even heard of it) and it's very expensive. We also keep plenty of good grass hay out. The mare has put on about 75 - 100 pounds in the month since we changed out the feed program. The other horses are looking better, too. My mare didn't need to gain any weight, but she also doesn't seem to have put on any since we changed out the feed. We don't feed the others quite as much as the two "skinny" ones, but all are doing well. I'm so pleased! Now, if I could just figure out how to keep their hooves from chipping, I'd be ecstatic!

AlmagroN 09-08-2009 09:00 PM

shes lucky you arent me. i would have kicked her a** into next year!:evil: what a piece of crap she is. and why the heck is he all cut up? did she have an explination for that?!

1dog3cats17rodents 09-08-2009 09:03 PM

I can't help with the weight gain, but you might want to buy at least a heavy turnout blanket for him if he doesn't gain weight quickly

redneckprincess70 09-09-2009 09:02 PM

If you have a supplier of feeds in your area that carry TDI Senior feed. Go with that. It already has the beet pulp and extra nutrients to put on weight. I managed to put 175 lbs on Kay in 3-4 mo. giving her 1 1/2 scoop twice a day with hay and good pasture. Good Luck and next time you see the previous owner--give her a good solid kick in the ***!!!!

tealamutt 09-09-2009 10:37 PM

I give my TB purina Equine Senior. I prefer this to alfalfa or grain which can make TB's really high. Senior, hay, good pasture should get him up there. Also the clinician here at school has seen a lot of TB's founder on alfalfa. If you do blanket him, make sure it isn't until he starts to grow a really nice winter coat in first or he won't get a proper one.

MTcowgirl 09-09-2009 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlmagroN (Post 398855)
shes lucky you arent me. i would have kicked her a** into next year!:evil: what a piece of crap she is. and why the heck is he all cut up? did she have an explination for that?!

No, she didn't offer an explanation and acted like they were in fine condition and it was no big deal. But he was in a pasture with around 30 other horses (no grass or even weeds in the pasture mind you, just dirt). I know that some of the places he's missing hair is from the other horses kicking and biting him. But it I mean it's ridiculous to keep all those horses in one pen knowing that some are bully's and feed them all together at the same time and expect every horse to get even get enough food. He had literally a blanket of flies on him when I picked him up, I don't know what the other spots are from but possibly he's loosing his hair due to lack of nutrition? I wouldn't rule anything out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by redneckprincess70 (Post 399713)
If you have a supplier of feeds in your area that carry TDI Senior feed. Go with that. It already has the beet pulp and extra nutrients to put on weight. I managed to put 175 lbs on Kay in 3-4 mo. giving her 1 1/2 scoop twice a day with hay and good pasture. Good Luck and next time you see the previous owner--give her a good solid kick in the ***!!!!

Senior feed sounds like a good solution, thank you. Unfortunately he needs a lot of weight in about 2 months! We'll see how it goes and I will post updates. It was so sad to see these once gorgeous horses like this without even a touch of sheen in their coats.

luvs2ride1979 09-09-2009 11:27 PM

I would deworm him now with Pyrantel Promate paste and with Ivermectin+Praziquantel (zimectrin gold) in 4 weeks. That should clean him out nicely.

I would put him on free choice pasture and grass hay, work up to 5-8 lbs of alfalfa a day (hay, cubes, or pellets), and some hay pellets mixed with:

- vitamin supplement, like GrandVite or Select II
- fat source, like stabilized rice bran or flax
- probiotic, like Fastrack or Source Focus WT

This diet should get him back to a good weight in the right amount of time.

Using sweet feeds or senior feeds with molasses can rev the metabolism, making weight gain more difficult. Using an all-hay diet returns the metabolism to normal, making weight gain easier. It also burns "warmer" in the horse's stomach, helping to keep him warm when the cold weather sets in.

UC Davis did a study that showed that horses getting alfalfa gained weight better with less behavioral issues than horses on a hay + grain diet.

I also agree on getting a vet out to check/float teeth and do some blood work.