The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Artwork (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-artwork/)
-   -   After the Storm (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-artwork/after-storm-35604/)

toadflax 09-08-2009 12:47 PM

After the Storm

1 Attachment(s)
My mare before she went blind. Thought it would be a good trick to draw my own animal for a change--:D.

fuzzyfeet 09-08-2009 02:49 PM

your a great drawer! and what a pretty horse, how come she went blind?

Scrambles 09-08-2009 02:55 PM

Whoa! You drew that?! It looks like a black and white picture!

1dog3cats17rodents 09-08-2009 03:14 PM

I still can't get over the amazing detail in your artwork, it would be very easy to convince me that was a photograph (thank you again for my rattie picture! Both rats in that picture did shortly after I received it, so it meant even more!)

toadflax 09-08-2009 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzyfeet (Post 398523)
your a great drawer! and what a pretty horse, how come she went blind?

Thanks, she went blind from uveitis about 9 years ago. It's kind of sad for me to 'see' her healthy and whole, even in a drawing. I thought she was perfect from the moment I met her.I still have her, she's 28 and a total love, but I really miss her too. She was an awesome saddle horse.

toadflax 09-08-2009 03:36 PM

Oh no, they both died?! I'm sorry to hear that, I know their life spans aren't so long, but still, that's too bad.

Thanks, I've spent some time here trying to loosen my technique but it keeps creeping back tighter, *sigh* but it's been fun experimenting with other folks' critters. That rat picture was FUN!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1dog3cats17rodents (Post 398541)
I still can't get over the amazing detail in your artwork, it would be very easy to convince me that was a photograph (thank you again for my rattie picture! Both rats in that picture did shortly after I received it, so it meant even more!)

toadflax 09-08-2009 03:39 PM

Hi, Scrambles, that's a seriously cute doggy.
Yep, it's a drawing, you could tell if you saw the original. I like giving myself headaches I guess :D.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrambles (Post 398529)
Whoa! You drew that?! It looks like a black and white picture!

1dog3cats17rodents 09-08-2009 03:44 PM

Sorry to steal your thread, but yes, they both died :-( Pumpkin, the orange one had a small mammary tumor I'd know about for a few months. Cecile developed a brain tumor quickly and had to be PTS as her symptoms worsened. Within three days after Cecile's death, Pumpkins tumor had grown to at least three times it's previous size and pressed internally. She did the night before her vet appointment to be PTS :-(

toadflax 09-08-2009 04:04 PM

Oh, steal away, I like your rats! I'm just sorry to hear that, I did sort of know them and I thought they were adorable--I smile whenever I look at that picture.
Gosh, for little guys it sounds like they get their share of problems just like dogs and horses.

1dog3cats17rodents 09-08-2009 04:14 PM

Tumors and upper respiratory infections are big problems with small animals, proper care is not cheap. I spent $205 in one vet appointment, plus another $40 to have Cecile PTS, and it would have been more to have Pumpkin PTS. In my 6 years of rodent owning, I've spent at least $1,000 in vet care, including multiple URI's and in particular, one rat cost $250 to get a tumor removed, plus another $125 for serious pnemonia due to her weakened immune system. Granted I've owned up to 26 rodents at one time, but still. It drives me crazy when people think of them as cheap easy "throw away" pets for their 5 year old

Thanks for letting rant (sorry) and thanks for your care about my babies!