The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Whose never fallen? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/whose-never-fallen-35616/)

cheply 09-08-2009 04:47 PM

Whose never fallen?

Whose never fallen off of a horse?

I never have and its hurting my confidence (odd I know..)
I wanna know if anyone else is in the same boat as me....

rushmoor riverdancer 09-08-2009 05:34 PM

i fallen plenty of times but last month i fell off my mare for the first time and ive owned her 4 6 years lol but if u fallen just get back on

dee 09-08-2009 05:53 PM

I understand how you feel. I was terrified of falling off my horse until it actually happened. I was warming Sugar up before a playday when she went one way and I went the other. I landed on my head and did a complete summersalt before landing flat on my back. It happened so fast, it didn't have time to hurt. I got up and started to look for my horse, only to find she was trotting back to me as if to say "what the @#!#$ happened to you?" I climbed back on and enjoyed the playday immensely, until hubby got thrown pretty violently from his horse (found out the saddle was causing EXTREME discomfort) and had to go to the hospital. (his fall fixed his bad back - no pain for months because he landed pretty flat, but he had some bruising up inside his wrist that sidelined him for a couple of weeks.)

Please understand - when I playdayed, I just played. I didn't care if I won or not. If I just trotted around the barrels, that was fine with me. It was just for fun. I was never a very good rider - fortunately Sugar was very forgiving of my ignorance. It's been 20 years since she's been gone - and I sure miss her...

Crimsonhorse01 09-08-2009 06:32 PM

Ive always been told if you don't don't fall off your not trying hard enough. Needless to say i've had allot of falls. Luckily all my falls were from bareback and I didn't have to worry about getting caught.
Lol. I think the stupidest cause of one of my falls was trying to ride backwards bareback... Ah well gotta try everything once. ;)

IheartPheobe 09-08-2009 06:48 PM

I've fallen a million times and have always thought it makes me a bad rider. Honestly, in the last four years or so I've fallen 15 times. I think it's a bad thing when you fall just cause you arent' trying (like I do a lot of the time). But that's just me. I am getting so much better and didn't fall at all in VA. I came really close when I was riding bareback and trying to do around the world (we'd done it with saddles the other day and I hadn't gotten to.. so my instructor promised me I could do it. . but we ended up being bareback!) and Diesel wasn't comfortable with me moving around. . so he kept walking off. I tried to get another girl to hold him for me (the instructor asked her to! :P) and she was like "SURE!" and took him. She got totally distracted and started watching my instructor and holding D at the end of the reins. Needless to say, I was half way into trying to turn around backwards, and D walked off! I told the girl I'd thought she was holding him and she's like "OHIMGOD NO I WASN'T SUPPOUSED TO HOLD HIM GOOOD!" :P

close2prfct 09-08-2009 07:18 PM

I've never fallen..at least not yet. I don't worry too much about it I've had enough injuries from other things in my life to worry about a fall lol

cheply 09-08-2009 07:23 PM

IheartPheobe: I don't think it makes you a bad rider if you fall off...
I think it makes you a bad rider if you DON'T fall off. Thats what I'm told all the time anyway. :(

Quote:

I've never fallen..at least not yet. I don't worry too much about it I've had enough injuries from other things in my life to worry about a fall lol
... Lol, I havn't had ANY injuries (aside from maybe the odd cut and stubbing my toes) ... maybe thats why I'm so scared. Horse back riding is the only dangerous thing I've ever done.

eriray 09-08-2009 07:37 PM

I've had my fair share of falls in the past but funny enough, the last time I fell off a horse was probably about 8 years ago...and I ride all the time. So what's different? I think I haven't fallen recently because 1) I'm older and wiser - I don't do the stupid things anymore
2) I actually think about safety...if it doesn't seem safe, I don't do it
3) I've been riding the same horse now for 8 years and we have built a bond of understanding plus I know what to expect from him
and finally 4) I keep in shape with constant riding and I take lessons all the time to keep me tuned up and my horse good and responsive.
Of course this doesn't mean I wont fall off again someday, I just stack the odds against it more in my favor! :)

xEquestrianx 09-08-2009 08:00 PM

I've also fallen of a good share of times. A majority of those coming off of Cheyenne...lol. I've been riding 12 years and have proabably come off close to 20 times. Mostly bareback, or trying stupid things, and been thrown, ducked over shoulders/heads, etc. But it's not really that bad, just get back on and try again. Though I'll admit, being thrown is kinda a confidence shaker the first time, but if you make yourself get back up ASAP, it's not half as bad.

andysgagirl 09-08-2009 08:45 PM

I think you need to ride more if you have never fallen!! I have fallen before but before the first time I fell off my new horse it really did make me nervous. After that first fall I felt so much more confident, and he (my horse) did alot better. :-)

The first time I fell I was training a paso fino, she went crazy and I wasn't paying attention like I should have been. I fell off and slide across the ground, ripping my pants right down the middle of the butt! I was so embrassed when I stood up and realized I had just mooned my best friend and instructors. I hurt but I tied a jacket around my waist and got back on. The next week she threw me off. I was in pain but I didn't want to go to the doctor. Three months later I finally went and it turned out I had fractured my spine. The doctor said if I hadn't gone to the dr and taken another bad fall my spine could have snapped the rest of the way in half! But I wouldn't stop riding for anything even though it still hurts everytime I get on a horse!