The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Best feed option for my horse (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/best-feed-option-my-horse-35658/)

stephensba 09-09-2009 10:10 AM

Best feed option for my horse

My daughter and I are new to the group. We share an Appendix Quarterhorse that was an absolute gift.
I grew up with horses and my dad always fed oats and molasses as the base feed. Our Annie is just for pleasure riding and to love. Can anyone offer a suggestion for the best feed option for her? The previous owner was feeding something that looked like rabbit feed. That is fine if it is beneficial for the animal. We want to offer the best feed for our Annie. Suggestions please...:D

Lori1983 09-09-2009 10:54 AM

Congrats! I have an "Annie", too...but she's a TWH. However, I just got an appendix quarter recently myself. I give her different feed than Annie (the walker), because Annie is very thin and has a higher metabolism, plus she's still growing.

How old is your mare? My quarter (her name is Belle) is 10 years old and can literally stay sleek and muscular on just grass, so we have her on pasture, plus about 10 lbs. of alfalfa as a supplement because the pasture is poor in some areas. I like to feed a higher fiber/roughage diet as much as possible, so I give her Safechoice for her grain. Just 2-3 lbs/day. She does great on this with light riding. I think a lot of people will tell you that you don't even need to feed grain, and I agree with this. I just give the Safechoice to round out her vitamins/minerals.

There are so many diet options, and talking to your vet is a good idea. PeggySue (one of the users on this forum) happens to be a feed wizard and can tell you pretty much anything. :o)

And...we want pictures of your new horse!! :)

stephensba 09-11-2009 08:44 AM

Just starting here and unsure how everything works. Our grass is limited at present and we currently feed oats with molasses. We ride two or three times per week for a couple hours each time. The farrier says she is in great shape. I fear I have forgotten so much about what my Dad taught me that I feel like a newcomer to horses. It seems to come back gradually as I do things and work with my daughter.

PaintHorseMares 09-11-2009 01:56 PM

We like to keep our mares' diet simple...just grass/hay and a cup of SafeChoice a day. We the amount you're working them, they really shouldn't need anything more.

M2twisted 09-12-2009 12:17 PM

congrats! my horse was kinda a gift too. his owner passed away a few years ago, and he needed a new home. now he's my bestest buddy!

can you post some pics? is she fat/thin? when you ride how strenuous is it?
my horse is a foundation Qh, and he gets mostly roughage. he gets grass and alfalfa everyday, but only gets any concentrates when i feed them (mostly to get him to eat his glucosamine, lol). and he's been doing nicely!

this all depends on the quality of the feed. i moved him to the barn he is at now a year ago, and before that was thinner than i wanted. and in a matter of weeks after moving him to this new barn he looked SO much better. i personally believe the hay quality here is just better.

post pics! i'm curious to see a fellow gift horse!