The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Preferred brush?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/preferred-brush-3566/)

JinxXx0085 09-28-2007 10:40 PM

Preferred brush??

I'm curious what everybody likes to groom their horses with their summer and winter coat??

There's way too many brushes that I don't want to buy zillion of them to find the one I like better.

jazzyrider 09-29-2007 05:02 AM

hi there

try and find yourself a grooming kit. they arent that expensive and they have everything in them.

curry combs are good for winter hair. a smooth bristle brush is good for a sleak summer coat. and of course a comb for the mane and tail.

unless you keep your horse heavily rugged or clipped, you will most likely need all those brushes :)

JinxXx0085 09-29-2007 10:11 AM

I've already brought a grooming kit for cheap. I'd like to see if there's something better since I have some money to spend :D

As for the curry comb, is it supposed to be metal or rubber?

Sara 09-29-2007 12:14 PM

Rubber curry, for the most part. The ONLY time I use a metal one is if a horse comes in caked in mud...and then its just to break up the clots for the rubber curry.

jazzyrider 09-30-2007 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JinxXx0085
I've already brought a grooming kit for cheap. I'd like to see if there's something better since I have some money to spend :D

As for the curry comb, is it supposed to be metal or rubber?

lol spend your money on something better lol brushes are brushes are brushes IMO :)

definitely rubber curry :) i dont even own a metal one

JinxXx0085 09-30-2007 11:48 AM

Ah, okay I guess the brushes I have are just sufficent!! I do still need a new cinch and a new bit. I just hate ordering online because I always end up forgetting an item that I REALLY need... go figure :D
Thanks though guys/gals!

Delregans Way 09-30-2007 05:38 PM

Hi, hows it goin. My horses don't get a winter coat, mainly because they are rugged heavly. Although when it comes to spring/summer, they still lose dramitic amounts of hair. The useful brush to get rid of this hair is the curry comb (curry brush same thing). I just do circler movements on there body with the curry, that losens the hair up and brings the dust to the surface. Then i go over one more time with a soft brush, to remove dust and hair. SIMPLE. Hope that helps,?? lol

Supermane 10-01-2007 02:54 AM

I personally couldn't live without my sponge brush, slick 'n easy, or easyclean brush.
For the winter, my horse vacuum is my best friend :) but those are pretty expensive...

KANSAS_TWISTER 10-01-2007 04:12 AM

mine wuold be a finishing brush, put a real shine on in the end

Vidaloco 10-01-2007 04:52 PM

I have a small very soft bristled face brush I use on the face nose and ears. Its my favorite part to brush because she seems to enjoy it so much.

Also a good rubber sweat scrapper. I found that if I scrape the sweat off after riding she doesn't immediatly go roll in the dirt.