The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Stable Hand Vehicle (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/stable-hand-vehicle-3567/)

jesmagil 09-29-2007 12:08 AM

Stable Hand Vehicle

I have a small favor to ask. For school I need to design a fuel cell vehicle and I want to design my vehicle to be a stable hand vehicle. Basically, it would be used to move things around and possibly have a wheelbarrow attached to it. So, I was just wondering if you would be able to give me a bit of an idea of what features would be best. Ask yourself, if you had a little vehicle to help you out around the barn and/or during horse shows, what would you want it to do?

Any ideas you have would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Jes

KANSAS_TWISTER 09-29-2007 12:45 AM

we always had a a.t.v at the barn with pull carts, and most people here have mules (not the horse but the vehicle), i woundn't attach a wheel barow to it but a pull cart, you can also check out mcgill university's dairy program (west island) to see what they use in there barns....there is one thing that i would like to see in future in barn vehicles is that they are much more quiter

aussie 10-18-2007 06:32 AM

Personally i'd have something that would carry hay and feed, so a small try would be ideal, these can also be used when you are cleaning out or emptying stables. There is a one of these that are fairly common around here called a "Gator" simple design and the back tips up so it is easy to empty. Its a really simple design, try a google search, should be easy to find!

kitten_Val 10-18-2007 08:10 AM

I have just 2 horses, so feeding is not a problem. Moving the manure from barn to the pile is pain in butt (never thought 2 small horses can produce SO MUCH). So manure moving thing would be great. We do use a big bucket (those for $16 in TSC) with 2 holders and move it there together.

Vidaloco 10-18-2007 10:02 AM

I have a 4 wheeler that I attach a blade to in the front. I use it for scraping poop into a pile in the dry lot. Very handy to have I also use it for snow in the winter and use the winch alone for pulling up fence posts etc. I just attach a cart in the back for hauling things around although a bale of hay will fit on the back. Your vehicle should definitly have a pin hitch in the back and a winch in the front. A small compartment needs to be built in for tools and such too. Oh and a cup holder :wink:

moonflame994 10-19-2007 08:39 AM

Re: Stable Hand Vehicle

somthing like this......

http://www.horseforum.com/userpix/20..._20Gator_1.jpg

aussie 10-24-2007 09:45 AM

Moonflame, thats a Gator! awesome little things, what I was trying to describe in my post!

DressageGirl 11-27-2007 01:49 PM

Gators are really handy! The people where i keep my horse have one, and they use it to do stalls as the back is like a dump truck and empties the back without having to get out, and its easy to carry feed and hay and anything anywhere you want! and it has 4x4 for when its muddy or in the winter. They're quite handy!