The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Equine Careers and Education (http://www.horseforum.com/equine-careers-education/)
-   -   Horse career questions! (http://www.horseforum.com/equine-careers-education/horse-career-questions-356858/)

TheBritKid 02-02-2014 12:33 AM

Horse career questions!

Alright, so I'm going to be graduating relatively soon (next year) and I'm starting to think about my future and feeling a bit stressed! I've been looking into different types of jobs and I'm pretty set on dental hygiene, because it pays well and would allow me time with horses still:D But...my dream is to work with horses (I've wanted this since I could remember), do you think both jobs are doable at one time? I would have to go to uni for about 4-5 years to get my dental hygiene bachelor and I was thinking of going into some equine-related classes after I was finished with schooling for dental hygiene. Basically I was thinking of going to work in the morning (ex: 8am-4pm) and after that I could head out to the barn and have sort of a "second job" teaching lessons, maybe training or even 1-2 project horses to sell for a profit. But would this still work? I'm planning (wanting to) compete around Alberta in horse shows just for the experience and to get my name out there I guess haha.
I was just looking at getting a job in the equine industry, but as we all know it doesn't pay well at all. So I thought of this alternative...tell me what you think!

boots 02-02-2014 10:22 AM

That will work. And Alberta is a good choice, in my opinion.

Many people take lessons in the evenings after their own work day is done. Their instructors need grooms and assistants. If you're talking the Calgary/Spruce Meadows area I think you will have little trouble finding something to do outside of your regular career. Year round. Great area to get started.

kiltsrhott 02-02-2014 10:28 AM

I think this is a very good plan! There are actually two dental hygienists at the dentist I go to that own horses and work with horses a little on the side. I work an 8-4 job that is only vaguely horse related and I am able to visit the barn after work and over the weekend and work with my green horse and take lessons.

So many teenagers come online looking for ways to get started in the horse industry and don't have a plan B or plans for any other source of income. This is their first mistake. Horses are expensive and you don't become a reputable trainer, a well-known instructor, or have the finances to own or rent your own facility without some other way to support yourself while you work towards your goals. Kudos to you for thinking like an adult!