The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Draft Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/)
-   -   drafts can't gallop!!!? since when!? (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/drafts-cant-gallop-since-when-35714/)

drafts4ever 09-10-2009 05:49 AM

drafts can't gallop!!!? since when!?

I just posted a picture on a board of me with loose reins riding Caleigh full speed in an open field.
Many people said it was gorgeous and those who have seen her from the beginning of me getting her commented on her toned muscles and her figure.

One person however said "you are a horrible person for forcing that animal to run like that. Being that size I can't image the pain she's going through with you on her back making her go that speed! No draft is built to gallop!"

wow. I can understand how she might have the wrong idea because all she's been exposed to are trotting cart drafts but we use drafts in the Ren. Fairs, show parades, and regular riding. I agree you should never force any horse past their speed boundries and wouldn't run her or any horse if there were health or lameness problems or weight issues (that falls under health right?. But other than that I see no reason why running a draft would be bad.
She's not running miles, she's getting more than enough cool down time, and warm up time and she's not only running. We work on every speed from trot to gallop along with transitions and body language cues. she's in great shape, she's happy when she does it, has no lameness issues or health issues, and she listens to every tiny body movement, and she's basically bomb proof. I know I'm not hurting her.

Has anyone else heard of drafts being to big to run?
If they were too big to run she wouldn't be doing it in the field on her own either and she does it plenty when let out. Along with bucking kicking and being a horse when she's in her pasture with her friends.

BackInTheSaddleAgain 09-10-2009 12:23 PM

I have never heard that. It's ridiculous. As long as you condition them, drafts can run. Don't take the insult to heart. Most horses love to run. What's really a shame is the people that keep their horses confined in a stall and don't let them spread their wings and embrace their spirit.

mom2pride 09-10-2009 12:45 PM

I agree...let that one go in one ear and out the other.

You know your horse, you know how she's cared for, and you know how she's feeling day to day; you would be the first to know whether she would be up for a gallop one day. I hate when people presume to know they know your horse, when they've never even met it.

And then entire concept that a drafty isn't built to run? BS ... granted, they are far from the streamlined Thoroughbreds, Arabs, and other breeds that are known for speed and stamina, but to say a horse can't run just because he's big? Nonsense. Your horse would adapt to the wild just as easily as any other horse, because the instinct to run and be active is still there. Plus...those hooves could pummel just about any predator into the ground with one stomp!

Just enjoy your horse, and ignore the ignorant.

Lucara 09-10-2009 01:25 PM

If a predator were coming after your draft, I don't think she would trot away. She'd start hauling butt!!

Jillyann 09-10-2009 01:30 PM

Thats a load of crap! We have 2 full drafts at my barn, and when they get playing with the other horses in there pastures, they are definitely FULL out running. And its there choice, so who ever said that is full of BS.

drafts4ever 09-10-2009 04:02 PM

I didn't take the insult to heart. I was just floored by how someone would say something so stupid! I mean it's a horse. A horse runs, doesn't matter size or build...they run and I know she likes to run.
There have been times that she's not up for it but we feed off each other and if she's not up for it neither am I and we have a lazy walk bareback in the pasture.

I've even see cart horses run but I've been told that not only does the cart bounce a lot more when they run that the weight from the harness isn't the best thing for long rides at a fast speed. Understandable.

But the way I see it. I'm 110 pounds, she's 1750... yeah sure I'm hurting her. ha.

She had a chiropractor appointment today to fix any knots that might be there. She only found one up by her head and it was little, she's a very relaxed and happy mare. I think if she didn't like something I was doing, she'd let me know some how.
I kind of felt bad for the lady, throwing around bs like that and being so under educated.
My only response was..."can't run? well I better tell her to quit what she's been doing in the pasture!"

drafts4ever 09-10-2009 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucara (Post 400115)
If a predator were coming after your draft, I don't think she would trot away. She'd start hauling butt!!

exactly! and if all else fails she's got those Clydesdale dinner plates for added protection too...

Jillyann 09-10-2009 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drafts4ever (Post 400242)
exactly! and if all else fails she's got those Clydesdale dinner plates for added protection too...

hahahaha exactly!

cwgrlup85 09-10-2009 04:49 PM

I used to have a clydesdale and he was an awesome ride...he loved to gallop across the fields. You barely even had to ask him, and he never protested hehe. So I don't believe a word that lady said.

smrobs 09-10-2009 06:54 PM

I believe that forcing them to gallop over very long distances or on really hard ground could injure thier joints and make them more likely to get arthritis but that lady clearly doesn't know horses cause doing that to ANY breed will cause problems. I have galloped my Perch John across a pasture and all I can say is WOW!!!! Like you said, your not making her gallop all the time, it is just something that you do sometimes for fun and exercise, nothing that they don't do on their own when feeling frisky LOL. And like you said, on a mature animal that size, the rider is an afterthought. When I ride John, I figure it is about like me carrying a 9 pound backpack......just enough to know its there. ;)