The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   Paddock question...Help/Opinions please?? (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/paddock-question-help-opinions-please-35716/)

Gidji 09-10-2009 06:44 AM

Paddock question...Help/Opinions please??

I'm getting a yearling, and I work across the road with an amazing local trainer. She's really good with young horses, and in return for my work, she's offered to help train my baby, and let him stay there.
However, I don't know whether I should let him stay in her paddocks. They're full of cattle, and I don't want my baby getting kicked or getting hurt. I've never actually had horses in paddocks with cattle, so if I really don't know much about the pros/cons about it.
Will my baby get used to the cows? Will he get.....cow sense? I really don't want him to be a fast cowy boy.
And the worm cycle; I normally pick up the manure, but if he's in a paddock with cattle, they'll just be too much poop. So will that effect his health?
The lady over there keeps her horses with cattle, some of them are cutters/drafters, and some are WP.
I really want to keep my baby there, but I just don't know about the cattle.
Any opinions, experiences, help would be greatly appreciated :)

Barrelracer Up 09-10-2009 10:55 AM

It would depend on the size of the "paddock" and the type of cows. If you have Angus type cows and the paddock is several acres, then I would lean towards definitely going for it. If the cows are rank with horns, the paddock is small and crowded, and the fencing dangerous, then I would probably look for an alternative.

My horses were on three acres with 50 Angus two year old heifers. They were fine, not crowded and my mare would sometimes play with them if they got to getting frisky.

Make friends with your local vet and run fecals every few months to double check your worming program. I check mine about a week before they are due for a reworm - there is a wide range of opinions on when you should do a fecal check and what your results mean, so you may want to do some research on the trend in your region.

She probably won't gain any "cow sense" as that is something that tends to be a " gut instinct" that you either have or you don't. But the exposure won't hurt one bit IMO.

If it doesn't work, you can always move him back to the situation you currently have him in.

Gidji 09-11-2009 02:27 AM

I'm pretty sure they're not Angus cows. I'm no expert on cattle, but I think they're either Limosins, or Jerseys. Its a fairly large paddock, and they're isnt like heaps of cattle.
I will definately be doing some research on it. Thanks :)

Saskia 09-11-2009 04:42 AM

I've seen many horses live happily in paddocks with cows. While you should look into it if you are uncomfortable, if the trainer keeps her horses with cows and they are fine I don't see why yours shouldn't be.

anna13 09-11-2009 11:04 AM

It sounds fine to me. I don't think a good horse trainer would let a horse get into a risky situation. Good luck!