The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   Conflicted about the barn (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/conflicted-about-barn-35720/)

AussieDaisyGirl 09-10-2009 11:53 AM

Conflicted about the barn

I have to say I absolutely love the barn Carolina is at. It is literally less than 5 minutes from the house, she has a lovely big stall and the staff seem great. There's an indoor and outdoor arena and roundpen. It's a showbarn so there is a trainer on site.

But there is no grass. :-( Carolina gets turned out into a field with no grass, just like all the other horses there. She gets fed plenty of fresh hay plus pelleted feed, but one of my biggest gripes about our property in TN was the lack of grazing. And now, I'm paying $250 a month for basically the same situation. Ugh.

Is it common? Is it something I should just suck up and deal with considering all the other benefits of the barn? Or is the lack of grazing a very big deal? I'm trying to rein in my diva-ness.

Wallaby 09-10-2009 08:56 PM

Could it just be this time of year?
I agree that it's not completely ideal but if she's getting plenty of hay to munch and keep her tummy full I feel it's probably ok...
But I could be wrong! Haha

Juniper 09-10-2009 08:59 PM

My horse is out in a pasture. He stands around waiting for his hay. He is supplemented with hay because it is a small field and we do not want him to get the grass down too much. It is only grass hay, nothing yummy like alfalfa. So he does not even eat the nice fresh grass that much like you would think a horse would. In my opinion don't worry about the lack of grazing as long as he has lots of grass hay to munch on, so his need for chewing is satisfied.

AussieDaisyGirl 09-10-2009 10:31 PM

Thanks for the replies. She seems happy and she's still gaining weight so I guess I'll just see how it goes.

anna13 09-11-2009 12:00 PM

It's fine if there isn't grass. As long as there's plenty of hay, she'll be fine. Grass is like a luxury.

MyBoyPuck 09-17-2009 09:19 PM

My horse isn't in a grass pasture either. I compensate by hand grazing him after our rides for about 15 minutes, or let him sneak some grass while we're out trail riding. He seems happy with his hay. I guess food is food, just some tastes better than others.

justsambam08 09-28-2009 12:53 AM

My horse is also out in a no-grass pasture. I live in FL, so its sandy as well, but they offer free choice tifton as long as rain isn't in the forecast. I'm not too disappointed though, the grass that grows in Florida isn't exactly top quality for grazing. But I do hand graze him when he's well-behaved out on the "front lawn" which has grass.

farmpony84 10-07-2009 04:22 PM

I've noticed that it is common at boarding facilities to have no pasture. They just have too many horses to keep it lush...

I'm sorry...

If it makes you feel any better I will pull mine off the grass probably at the end of this month and they won't get to graze again until probably Late April / Early May... :(

BaliDoll 10-07-2009 08:41 PM

Yeah, that's exactly how I feel about this place I am looking at bringing Bali out to. It's in California, where I am going to college, and he's used to rolling hills of pasture in colorado... I feel bad, but no one rides him at home, and I feel he'll have a better life with more attention vs. grass... ;)

ShannonSevenfold 10-08-2009 12:25 AM

My horse is in a pasture with one other horse that they literally mowed through in a couple days. They get ALOT of hay to compensate for the lack of grass to graze on. They're both fat and perfectly happy to just chew on grass hay.

At the barn where I ride, they have 2 huge pastures (mares and geldings) for the horses in the summer months, but the rest of the year they are on drylots and just get more hay.