The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   I think my gelding is tenderfooted.... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/i-think-my-gelding-tenderfooted-358/)

Missi 01-17-2007 09:20 AM

I think my gelding is tenderfooted....

He had his shoes taken off and was trimmed on 12/26. 2 days later, I noticed him walking very slow and as if he was in pain. I checked is legs & hooves and did not see any lacerations, swelling etc. I assumed the farrier quicked him. I put him up in his barn and no limping once he was in there. I kept him up for 2 days just to be safe. When I let him out, he seemed fine.

The other day when the ground was frozen early in the morning, he was doing the same. The ground is frozen again this morning, and Chance is acting as if all of his feet are extremely sore when he steps.

Can he be THAT tenderfooted when the ground is frozen? Should I have him checked out?

Gammelquarterhorses 01-17-2007 10:15 AM

Missi,

That is what my gelding started doing, but he ended up having navicular. I don't think that is what your gelding has but it is a bit strange that he developed it after his shoes were taken off. I would have a vet take some x-rays just to be safe.

savepitbulls 01-17-2007 12:04 PM

I'd suggest leaving his shoes off for awhile and letting his feet toughen up. A lot of horses that are used to wearing shoes will show signs of being tenderfooted when the shoes are removed. He should improve though, not get worse. If he gets worse then there could be another problem Some vets will give you hoof-hardening soloution that you apply to the bottom of the foot. Might help your boy. But this is why I leave shoes off my horses when they aren't in training or showing. Otherwise they tend to get spoiled. Most farriers recommend letting horses go barefoot a couple times a year to keep their feet in better shape.

Missi 01-17-2007 01:30 PM

I've owned him since Aug and he's always had shoes. My farrier suggested I keep his shoes off him until spring to toughen his feet up. I just went outside to give him an apple just so he cud walk up to the fence and he walked fine. I'll keep an eye on him to make sure nothing changes.

I noticed your username is "savepitbulls". I have 2 pits myself and just love these dogs. They both live in the house and sleep with us. They are amazing & intelligent dogs. Glad there's another person out there trying to save these dogs.

barnrat 01-17-2007 01:36 PM

Quote:

Some vets will give you hoof-hardening soloution that you apply to the bottom of the foot.
The veternarian may give this to you...Has anyone ever used it on your hroses and did it work? I met several people who have said it only costs money and does nothing for the horse...

I qoute they said "Its a feel-good product."

savepitbulls 01-22-2007 01:41 PM

A lady I used to work for used it on some of her broodmares. It seemed to help some of them and didn't seem to help others. I think its one of those things you have to evaluate on a case-by-case basis. I'd talk to a farrier at length about it and see that they say. Some may have differing opinions.

savepitbulls 01-22-2007 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Missi
I've owned him since Aug and he's always had shoes. My farrier suggested I keep his shoes off him until spring to toughen his feet up. I just went outside to give him an apple just so he cud walk up to the fence and he walked fine. I'll keep an eye on him to make sure nothing changes.

I noticed your username is "savepitbulls". I have 2 pits myself and just love these dogs. They both live in the house and sleep with us. They are amazing & intelligent dogs. Glad there's another person out there trying to save these dogs.

:D Awesome! Horses and pitties are my life, I can't imagine not having them around. I just wish more people could see them for what they naturally are and should be rather than for what horrible human beings have done to some of them.

crackrider 01-23-2007 09:06 PM

Horses that are shod for all or most of their life are extremely tenderfooted when the shoes are taken off. Some are worse then others. It will take time for his feet to harden up but they will. Just make sure theres nothing in his pasture for him to step on and bruise himself while his feet are so soft.

daveb 01-24-2007 12:54 PM

Grow some length

Definitely newly barefoot horses tend to get a little tenderfooted. You also want to make sure that your horses feet aren't trimmed too short. Hooves grow a lot less in the winter, and some farriers tend to trim too much off in the winter.

Bentley 03-08-2007 09:48 PM

Tenderfooted . . .

Did he have pads on? Also, is he a large horse? Some horses cannot take going barefoot. I had two Arabs who had feet like iron, and I would pull their shoes in the winter. I now have a qh who is a big horse with decent feet, but I plan to keep him shod because I don't think with his size his feet would do well going barefoot as the ground where we live is fairly hard, and we do get snow and ice. His feet are approximately the same size as my Arabs' feet, but he out weighs them by at least 300 lbs. If your horse isn't doing better within a couple or three weeks, I would reshoe him. No chance your farrier trimmed him a little too short, is there? If done correctly, shoeing is not harmful. Have you considered easy boots? They have a whole new set of issues--rubbing, coming off, difficult to get on and off, etc., but if the cost of shoes is an issue, you may want to consider them.