The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Horses Turned Out with Halters? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/horses-turned-out-halters-35824/)

FGRanch 09-11-2009 09:28 PM

Horses Turned Out with Halters?

Why do people continue to do this? I just don't understand why you wouldn't do something soooo simple to save your horses life.

I know 10+ owners who have lost horses by turning them out with halters. Yet people stilll do it.

I see numerous people around here turning horses out with halters, and I see tons of pictures on here with horses turned out with halters on. You are endangering your pet.

I just don't understand, for the extra couple mins it takes. Sheer laziness!

1dog3cats17rodents 09-11-2009 09:42 PM

I'm guessing you don't board your horses

For many people, it's not a choice. When one person is bring in 25+ horses in large pastures, with all the horses having different head sizes, it's just not pratical. The worker would need to take 4X as long and get paid much more. You might want to hike across 3 and 1/2 acres *hoping* you can catch the right horse for the halter you are holding, but it's not pratical for someone bringing in 25+ horses daily

And did these people whose horses died use break away halters? I can gaurantee these work from all the time's I've gone "pasture hunting" for lost halters. The gelding pasture loves their halter tag, lol

FGRanch 09-11-2009 09:51 PM

I do board one of my horses and I would never have her turned out in any halter.

I used to have to catch 25+ horses daily off of 160 acres. Rope halters are an amazing thing...they fit pretty much any size horse at least enough to bring them in.

And no I wasn't talking about breakway halters, I see horses turned out all the time with regular heavy duty nylon halters. And breakaway halters aren't always the best thing either...a friend of mine had a two year old get his "break away" halter caught on the fence. He stood there for hours trying to fight it off...until someone came to rescue him...it didn't "breakaway."

1dog3cats17rodents 09-11-2009 10:00 PM

Wow, turning out in a non break away is just dangerous and idiotic! That's weird about the break away not working, I've never known that too happen. Maybe it was fault manufacturing. The break aways at our barn work very well, they don't break under slight pressure ( such as a horse trying to pull away) but if it gets caught in the pasture or "halter tag" gets a bit too rough the leather part snaps

Spastic_Dove 09-11-2009 10:15 PM

I never turn out with halters. When I have turned in for barns, they have also never had halters.

FGRanch 09-11-2009 10:16 PM

Tell me about it! It's not only stupid, but dangerous to the horse.

I don't disagree with breakaway halters but they don't always work and if you really don't need it...no halter is always best.

appylover31803 09-11-2009 10:50 PM

The first barn we were at, it was mandatory for the horse to have the halter on 24/7. The reason? In case of fire or the horse got loose.
Any chance we got take the halters off, we did. They were breakaway halters, though they never told to use them.

At the current barn, they only had their halters on when out in the pasture for the first week or so, just because they were in a new place. They had leather halters on at time.
Now they are nekkid!

paintluver 09-11-2009 11:00 PM

I never have had to leave the halters on my horses. I don't like it, they get those rub marks, they could get stuck, or something worse. I just don't like it. But I guess it is just opinion.

Wallaby 09-11-2009 11:25 PM

I never leave Lacey's halter on. My BO wanted it on the first week Lacey was at her house a year ago (in the round pen with no places for her to get caught) but after that she's never worn it in the pasture... Except for one time I forgot to take it off, then I called and had them take it off for me. :oops:

equus717 09-11-2009 11:27 PM

my horses do have there halters on except for caddo. I could run some of them without their halters on but some of them are impossible to catch if you don't have them on. I have one mare that is head shy without a halter on you aren't going to put a lead rope on her and you will not catch her either.