The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   Barn construction troubles (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/barn-construction-troubles-35850/)

snoggle 09-12-2009 12:57 PM

Barn construction troubles

The guy building our "barn" started yesterday. Our 2 horses will have plenty of land and this is mostly a run-in shed. It will be 24 x 24, with a small tack room and feed room. So the problem is that he put all of the posts in 8 feet apart. This means if we have stalls (which in my opinion we don't really need, but DH thinks we do) that are 12x12 there will be a post from ceiling to floor in the middle of it (not truly the middle, but you get the idea). Even if I convince them to leave it without stalls, just to be an open shelter - there will be these posts every 8 feet.

Our horses are 14 hands right now and one will grow to about 15 hands. Is having these posts every 8 feet going to be a huge problem? I kinda think we should have this guy start over now and put in bigger posts 12 feet apart, rather than be unhappy for the next 20 years, especially when we're paying good money to have this built.

Ideas? Suggestions?

Amba1027 09-13-2009 04:39 PM

If you do have stalls put in I think having a post in the middle of it might be a little inconvenient, but if you're going to leave it without stalls I think it will be ok. However, if you don't know whether or not you'll be putting stalls in I would say you should plan for putting stalls in so that way you're prepared for it.

starlinestables 09-14-2009 12:54 AM

Men... why can't they just get it right the first time?! :oP

snoggle 09-15-2009 10:52 AM

Fortunately, when the barn builder started working yesterday my husband explained the problem to him and the guy agreed completely. He thanked DH for noticing and said he'd fix it. I worried that he wouldn't see the problem. Crisis averted. :-)