The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Saddle size (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/saddle-size-35851/)

Crimsonhorse01 09-12-2009 12:06 PM

Saddle size

I am looking to purchase an english saddle, but really have no clue. What size should I get? I use a 14" western saddle. I figured that would be the right size but I read that a 14" western=12" english is this true? what are good brand and what should I look for?
Thanks

M2twisted 09-12-2009 03:08 PM

i have no idea how/if saddle sizes western to english go.
do you have a budget?
do you want an all porpose saddle or a hunt seat saddle?
best way to figure out what size is go to an english tack shop and have them help fit you. it's been a good while since i bought a saddle and off the top of my head all i can remember is you should be able to fit 4 fingers behind yer fanny to the cantle...

juniormylove 09-12-2009 03:20 PM

english is generally 2 sizes up from western, not down. so you'd need roughly a 16".

Barry Godden 09-14-2009 04:54 AM

Before you go and buy a second hand english saddle look up
www.sustainabledressage.com -in the tack section they discuss saddles - everything you want to know about shape, manufacture, fitting etc.

Unless we are talking about a pony it is unlikely that for a horse the saddle should be less than 17inch - the length is for the size of your butt not the horses,
What also is important is the width, ie narrow, standard, wide or even extra wide for cobbie broad backed horses.

Because of the smaller footprint it is extremely important that the saddle fits the shape of the horses back. Practically speaking you should not buy a saddle that has not been first fitted on the horses back to check that it fits length ways and width ways.

Then there is the question of type ie general purpose or dressage or jumping.

But you should sit on that saddle also to make sure you feel comfortable.

Read the website and then you'll understand the principles.

If you buy the wrong sized saddle, the horse will be uncomfotable and will develop evasions.

In Britain we send off a form supplied by the maker to show the shape of the horses back together with a trace of the back of the horse from side to side at certain key spots - . Key criteria are
type ie general purpose, Length ie 17,5 inch,, width ie wide

The manufacturers will send the saddle and if it doesn't suit, you can send it back.

Alternatively you go to the local tack shop and they deliver the saddle to your stable , you place it on the horse, you ride around and if it does feel right you try another.

But to judge whether a saddle fits properly or not takes a skilled eye.
Barry G

PS I have 5 English cut saddles - all of them fit my butt but only one fits my horses back.

Hoofprints in the Sand 09-14-2009 06:50 AM

The "average" size English saddle tends to be about 17". That's what you'll find at most tack shops anyway! I use a 16.5" saddle and had a heck of a time finding any to try out in tack shops, I eventually had to order mine. If you have any questions on fit, feel free to pick my brain...I think I've sat in about 80 saddles (no joke!) over the past month looking for just the right one!! ;-)

I'm 5'1" and 110 lbs, if that helps at all and I use a 16.5" saddle...but it definitely can vary person to person. It has a lot to do with where your legs are, your frame, your "bootie" size ;-) etc. etc...see my thread for some insight too!

http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack...-saddle-35693/